tinman
Where do Fire/Forest Service Roads fit in with your "gravel riding"?

Or don't they?

Do you use the same bike?

Same tires?

Do you explore, adventure along some single track along the way?

Personally,  they are my favorite to ride,explore,enjoy the outdoors......
Enjoy the outdoors....
Quote 0 0
ayjaydee
you must have a fire road bike  for fire roads and a forest service road bike for forest service roads unless you want to break your neck!!
Quote 3 0
tinman
No need for sarcasm.  I suspect most who venture to this site have more in common,  in terms of preferring to ride roads and trails less traveled,  than different. 

I would like to see how some tweak their bikes or if they just ride it as is for Fire/Forest service roads "riding" as opposed to racing

Thanks
Enjoy the outdoors....
Quote 0 0
Bullrun
I live in SoCal and I'm about ready to begin to explore them with my Salsa Vaya..
Quote 1 0
Lars
I always check in with the local Ranger District office before riding on National Forest roads. There always could be closures, construction, hauling, fires, grizzly bears, snow, hunting season (lots of hunters shoot from their vehicles illegally), etc. that may change your choice of road. Also, they would know where to start looking for you if you don't show up at home.
Quote 0 0
Sadlebred
Lars wrote:
I always check in with the local Ranger District office before riding on National Forest roads. There always could be closures, construction, hauling, fires, grizzly bears, snow, hunting season (lots of hunters shoot from their vehicles illegally), etc. that may change your choice of road. Also, they would know where to start looking for you if you don't show up at home.

Definitely this! Some roads may be closed for certain days or closed before a certain time during hunting seasons. For us in Georgia, it affects our gravel and mtb riding from about Sept.-Jan. Know which ranger district the roads are in.

As far as equipment, I ride the same gravel bike regardless of where I'm riding. If I'm doing a MTB or gravel back country ride I make sure to take extra water with me--maybe my Camelback--and extra food. I make sure my cell phone is 100% charged in case I can get a signal if I get in trouble. I also wear a Road ID in case something happens.
Quote 0 0
tinman
Good points,

Also,  I like a tire with a more volume than some run on gravel.   

Enjoy the outdoors....
Quote 0 0
Marinerecon
Lars wrote:
Quote 0 0