JCU Delt Ox
I've been riding a lot of gravel recently, but there are far more paved roads locally than there are gravel.  I'd like to invest in a set of dedicated road wheels with a more efficient tire than the Schwalbe G-One Bites on my DT Swiss 1850's.  I've looked long and hard at factory vs custom, aluminum vs carbon, and think the best value can be found going with a custom carbon setup from BTLOS.  Below is the build that I've spec'd and at current prices, it's $747.89 delivered.  What I ask is, does anyone know of a better value wheel with a similar spec and performance?  If so, I'd love to hear it.
[wgx40-cross-section-drawing]
Current configuration wheelset weight: 1567.6+/-25g
Series: Premium

Finish: Matte
Weave: UD
Spoke Count: 28H/28H
Hub Type: DT SWISS 350
Ratchet: Default
Axle Size ( Front/Rear ): Thru Axle 12*100mm /..
Hub Color: Black
Freehub: Shimano Road 11S
Brake Interface: Center Lock ( Disc )
Spoke: Pillar Aero X-TRA 14..
Spoke System: Straight pull
Nipple: Brass Black
Decal colors: Black
Quote 0 0
pushstart
Those look like a great value and the reviews for BTLOS on MTBR seem good.  I would probably upgrade to the 36t ratchet and the premium T800, but otherwise the off-the-shelf wheels seem like a good gamble. Maybe Sapim spokes? I'd need to see if there is any research on strength/durability with Pillar vs Sapim.  I probably will stick with sourcing rims from LB, as the wheels end up being similar in price for me to build (I always prefer to build my own wheels) and I have built and abused so many LB wheelsets with zero issues. But I'd certainly at least consider/price out these guys too for my next road or gravel wheelset.
Quote 0 0
JCU Delt Ox
Light Bicycle has a pretty comparable option in their WR45.  With the current shipping issues, lead time might be a concern with BTLOS.
Quote 0 0
Red Dirt
Might check out Spinergys.  With their current 20% off you can get the alloy GX rims for 479.00.  I like mine.
Quote 0 0
smoothmoose
Got my set of the wheels on my gravel bike.  I ended with the WM-i25 Extralight 29er/700c MTB rims - I wanted something lighter and wider than their semi-aero gravel rims.  I run 38-40mm tires - so in retrospect, I probably could have done with the 22mm gravel rims.

Net-net I'm really enjoying my wheels.  Mine were spec'ed to be 1360g and them came in my scales at 1350g.  28H Pillar aero spokes have no issues.  Love the DT350 with 54T ratchet upgrade.  Also like they had reflective decals option as I use these wheels on my commuting setup as well.  Overall build quality looked flawless out of the box and is still running great after about 5 months and about 700-800 miles on them now.

The only thing to look out for is the tubeless setup - which is the case for all rims.  BTLOS provided me with free rim tape - but it was cut skinny to just fit the rim/nipple channel and not the entire rim width.  I had some issues with the skinny tape holding air, but switching over to Stans (rim width + 2mm) solved the problem.

Great wheels and will likely use them again for my MTB.
Quote 0 0
JCU Delt Ox
If Spinergy's sale had been a couple days earlier, I may have jumped on it.  I opted for the Light Bicycle WR45 with DT350's because of the lead time.  I hope to have them soon to test with my set of WTB Exposure 700cx36 on the road.
Quote 0 0
mosinglespeeder
Pacenti....
Quote 0 0
smoothmoose
JCU Delt Ox wrote:
If Spinergy's sale had been a couple days earlier, I may have jumped on it.  I opted for the Light Bicycle WR45 with DT350's because of the lead time.  I hope to have them soon to test with my set of WTB Exposure 700cx36 on the road.

Probably good call in terms of lead time.   I ordered my BTLOS wheels end of September last year and took a bit over 3 weeks to deliver to California.  Boy has the world changed since then.
Quote 0 0