cmcalpin
As the title states.......I have been riding 2.4 ardents on gravel a lot lately at around 20-30 psi, and while I may not own a fat bike, the way they soak up the road bumps and float over the big loose rocks is way way better than the 42s (so called wide gravel tires blaahaahaa[biggrin]) on my other bike could ever dream of. The 2 bikes are different, geometry is different, bars are different, but all else aside the tires make the ride so much more fun. Anyone else like riding their fat bikes on gravel?[tongue][wink][eek]
SWIGG Official Website

SWIGG Official Facebook Page

Quote 0 0
imwjl
I thought you meant fat tires - 3.8 inches wide and more. I rode those on gravel too. 

I guess yes since selling a bike w 35 mm wide tires, riding a MTB, and riding a Fargo with 2.2s with little tread. Hitting a really deep pot hole on night's commute I thought who else is riding tires that fat on the street.

Not being a racer and being very into more expert style MTB I'm always going for traction and comfort, or speed that is aided by big tires with lots of traction. For commuting and urban riding I go for heavy duty so I can be off of the roads or jump a curb or something.

Most gravel grinding in my circle of friends is on MTB or fatties. It's really just a way to do touring or ride when the single track or snow trails are not an option.
Quote 0 0
ljsmith
I have 2.0 Furious Freds on my gravel bike, the extra volume is great.  2.4s would be pretty nice but I would not want an Ardent on gravel, that tread pattern would be brutally slow, I find them slow on singletrack.  But if it works for you, thats all that matters.
Quote 0 0
cmcalpin
ljsmith wrote:
I have 2.0 Furious Freds on my gravel bike, the extra volume is great.  2.4s would be pretty nice but I would not want an Ardent on gravel, that tread pattern would be brutally slow, I find them slow on singletrack.  But if it works for you, thats all that matters.

You know I been feeling that too. I love the 2.4 size but the tread of the Ardent seems to really require more energy to move especially on hills or harsh winds. I just happened to have them around so I tried them for their size. I have some 2.2 Ikons hanging on the wall. Been tempted to try them again but just been hesitant because I hate to lose that extra .2 lol! New tires are not in the budget right now but I have been eyeing the Schwalbe Big one and similar tires.

imwjl wrote:
I thought you meant fat tires - 3.8 inches wide and more. I rode those on gravel too.

By big I mean larger than what most gravel grinders consider big (38-42). I meant 2.2 and BIGGER whether that be standard,plus,or fat
Quote 0 0
chas
I rather like to go fast and hard, or maybe cover a lot of ground with minimum energy.  Light and supple is my preference.

That said, I have some 60mm Kenda slant 6 and some 60mm G-one tires.  The kenda's are in the dirt, but take way, way too much energy to ride on something smooth.  The G-one on the other hand take less energy than my high end road racing tires.    

There is an advantage to having a large tire and just being able to plow through anything.  And, a part of my like a light and fast tire that requires some skill and technique.  Having a bike that is slower and doesn't require much from its rider gets a little old after a while...
Quote 0 0
Fakey
I've ridden my fat bike with 4.8 inch tires on gravel several times. I found it's about 3 kph (1.8 mph) slower on average, than my cross bike with 35mm tires. It is very comfortable however, and a great choice if you feel like riding a more sight seeing pace!
Quote 0 0
cmcalpin
Fakey wrote:
I've ridden my fat bike with 4.8 inch tires on gravel several times. I found it's about 3 kph (1.8 mph) slower on average, than my cross bike with 35mm tires. It is very comfortable however, and a great choice if you feel like riding a more sight seeing pace!

I would like to get a hold of some 2.5 in a smooth tread pattern. Something like an “urban” tire. I bet that would roll SO nice
Quote 0 0
chas
cmcalpin wrote:
I would like to get a hold of some 2.5 in a smooth tread pattern. Something like an “urban” tire. I bet that would roll SO nice

That depends.

I find many urban tires are stiff and heavy.  Carcass makes a big difference.   I used a 60mm tire on a 100mile ride with my wife to slow me down, and with stiffer tread and sidewall, it was a workout.  The urban gang likes them because they are cheap and very tough.  Touring tires tend to be a bit stiffer too.  

the 60mm G-one though, those are sublime.  But schwalbe started the whole go big thing with the Big Apple.
Quote 0 0