flynn
I'm no newbie to gravel grinding, but I picked up a Surly Ice Cream Truck a while ago and want to do a couple of races on it. Right now I'm running the stock 4.8" Bud/Lou combo mounted to Clown Shoe rims at ~10psi on gravel rides, but the Lou is far from optimal and a bit heavy. I can hold 17mph over 30 miles on this setup, but am exhausted by the end of the ride due to the weight and rolling resistance.

I'm looking at the Big Fat Larry (light casing), but the weight of the Black Floyd is tempting as well.

Your thoughts/opinions?
Quote 0 0
bigbadbern
Perhaps you are exhausted due to going 17+ mph for 30 + miles  (unless you are descending a 30 mile long fire road).
Quote 2 0
AlanEsh
Is the gravel race fat-bike specific? Or is the surface so rough or soft that you need that bike? I mean, that's an odd choice of equipment unless it's a fat-bike race, or the surface is horrid. [biggrin]

My thoughts, in order that they occurred:
( Wow that's a good pace for two hours on a fatbike )
( gravel race? is it a fatbike gravel race? )
( if it's not a fatbike gravel race, the surface must be rough as a cob, or soft as sand if he's chosen to ride a fatbike! )
Sure, lighter tires and rims will help, but so might pulling a different bike out of the garage [biggrin]

OK you now have your quota of smart-azz answers, hopefully someone will chime in with their tire recommendations.
Quote 0 0
flynn
bigbadbern wrote:
Perhaps you are exhausted due to going 17+ mph for 30 + miles  (unless you are descending a 30 mile long fire road).

Fair point. This is a fairly flat route with only about 900 ft of climbing, but I use it to go flat-out and see how fast I can go on a gravel bike setup. It's completely unsustainable over longer distances, and I usually shave 3-4mph off of whatever speed I can do on that ride to pace for a 100 mile race. 

AlanEsh wrote:
Is the gravel race fat-bike specific? Or is the surface so rough or soft that you need that bike? I mean, that's an odd choice of equipment unless it's a fat-bike race, or the surface is horrid. [biggrin]

My thoughts, in order that they occurred:
( Wow that's a good pace for two hours on a fatbike )
( gravel race? is it a fatbike gravel race? )
( if it's not a fatbike gravel race, the surface must be rough as a cob, or soft as sand if he's chosen to ride a fatbike! )
Sure, lighter tires and rims will help, but so might pulling a different bike out of the garage [biggrin]

OK you now have your quota of smart-azz answers, hopefully someone will chime in with their tire recommendations.

I appreciate the comments, smart-azz or not [tongue]

Most of the races I've been to have had a fat bike category, and ever since buying my Ice Cream Truck I've wanted to give it a shot. I have a Soma Double Cross that weighs 15 lbs less, but rolling 100 miles on a fat bike is a new and exciting challenge. I know a couple of guys that can roll their fat bikes just as fast as the average person can ride a cross or gravel bike, and I'd really like to get to that level in the next couple of years. 
Quote 0 0
Rcmckill
My experience is with a 3.8" tire, so you might need to scale. I would think something in the 8-15 PSI range would be ideal. 6-8 PSI might be a bit more comfortable and 15-25 would be a bit faster.
Quote 0 0