frontrangegravel
Anyone getting one?
At $299.95, do you see yourself investing the money in something new like this?

Ergon CF3 Pro Carbon Seatpost

"Ergon presents a brand new innovative seat post for the road. The post offers a uniquely comfortable ride while remaining lightweight, making it ideal to match to today’s ultra-stiff road frames. The seatpost is designed to flex offering added suspension, killing road buzz and soaking up imperfections in the road surface. The saddle moves backwards in arc motion, with the carbon suspension beams (Canyon VCLS Technology) equipped with pivots to ensure the saddle remains horizontal. The system is maintenance free, offers simple setback and saddle angle adjustment, and weighs in at about 220 g. Eurobike Award 2012 Winner"
Quote 0 0
DustyRhodes
I would definitely take it for a test spin, but I would be hesitant to spend $300 first and then see how it worked out.  Seems like the ride could get bouncy with your pedal stroke, especially on smooth roads.  Another concern is the seatpost seems to be one size fits all.  I am sure it will ride a lot differently with a 140 pound rider than with a 220 pounder on it.

The Cannondale SAVE seapost (standard equipment on some of their high end hardtail mtn bikes) is probably less flexy and it hasn't been a roaring success but a XC mtn bike racer is probably looking for a different feel/feedback than a gravel rider.

Niner has a new RDO seatpost that is flexy and Specialized has the COBL GOBL-R (that name is marketing genius or the worst name ever). 

I am planning to build a gravel specific ride in January and plan to use a Specialized seatpost with zertz to take the edge off the road.

Who knew seatposts could be so provocative?!?
Quote 0 0
kansroad
Can anyone tell me who the CF3 vendor is in the U.S? Contacted Bike Source in Kansas City who is listed as a dealer but they had no stock or experience with the CF3.

The website lists the CF3 Pro Carbon and the Pro Carbon set back. Does anyone know which I should choose for my Salsa Warbird?  I am a 170 lb. male rider. The CF3 is listed on Amazon but it does not say if it is the standard or the "set back". I am interested in this for my gravel riding and sensitive lower back. 
Quote 0 0
levity

I'm 160 lb. and used a standard CF3 on my Crux and liked it.  It's lightweight and does a good job absorbing bumps, equal to or better than the Specialized Cobble Gobbler.
I haven't tried the rearward curved set-back model but would be concerned that it might flex back too much.

Niagara seems to have these in stock for $255 (less than Amazon lists)

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/ergon-cf-3-27-2mm-road-post-round-rail?gclid=Cj0KEQiA7rmzBRDezri2r6bz1qYBEiQAg-YEtiJijnuc0TMi_Xh8CXhFBuVaNlS1EuT5-tkstWY_hu4aAiJI8P8HAQ

FREE SHIPPING

Image 1

Ergon CF-3 27.2mm Road Post/Round Rail

YOU PAY:
$254.99

AVAILABILITY:
  • In stock for shipping, 4-5 days
  • Available for in-store pickup in 4-5 days
CURRENT STOCK: 3

Quote 0 0
ljsmith
I have a couple of these and they are great.  Best price I could find was direct from Germany at Bike Discount, they are typically around $170, but it fluctuates with the exchange rate.  Shipping takes about 2 weeks, so you have to be patient.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/ergon-cf3-pro-carbon-27%2C2-7x7-for-round-saddle-rails-81477
Quote 2 0
DerekJ_MI
Web site is all in German.  Is there a way to make it in English?  Nice price.

ljsmith wrote:
I have a couple of these and they are great.  Best price I could find was direct from Germany at Bike Discount, they are typically around $170, but it fluctuates with the exchange rate.  Shipping takes about 2 weeks, so you have to be patient.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/ergon-cf3-pro-carbon-27%2C2-7x7-for-round-saddle-rails-81477
Quote 0 0
mr_slow
DerekJ_MI wrote:

Shows up in English and in $USD for me, but at the top (there are three drop downs), change the language to English, and the currency to $USD. 
Quote 0 0
ljsmith
DerekJ_MI wrote:

In the upper right hand of the website, click on the dropdowns for Language, Delivery Destination and Currency to set the site up if its not correct for you.
Quote 0 0
DerekJ_MI
Super, thanks.  It works fine!

Quote 0 0
mr_slow
I do have a question about how it works. From the looks of the thing, it appears that the two pieces of the post can move about freely, allowing it to act as a 'suspension'. That said, does this post rub the inside of the seat-tube, and if so, is is causing any damage to the frame? I would mostly be worried about this on a carbon frame, since typically you use carbon paste, and it seems that would be acting as sandpaper, and rubbing the inside of the frame away? 

I tried looking for this information online, maybe I'm bad a google, just curious if anyone has had issues with it wearing their frame? 

Thanks!
Quote 0 0
ljsmith
The CF3 uses two carbon leaf springs.  Once you adjust the saddle tilt on the seatpost, which admittedly is much more difficult than a normal seatpost, there is a bolt at the bottom at the two leaf springs that holds them together so they don't slide.  Additionally the force of the seatclamp holds the two leaf springs together so they don't slide.  So they do not slide while in use.  The two leaf springs bend to provide suspension.  As I already stated, setup on this post is a little tricky, but its well worth it.  One of the problems is that if you don't get the bottom bolt or seatpost torqued properly then you can get slipping of the post and/or leaf springs, so a torque wrench is really required.  You also need to use carbon assembly paste, but it comes with that.  
Quote 0 0
mr_slow
ljsmith wrote:
The CF3 uses two carbon leaf springs.  Once you adjust the saddle tilt on the seatpost, which admittedly is much more difficult than a normal seatpost, there is a bolt at the bottom at the two leaf springs that holds them together so they don't slide.  Additionally the force of the seatclamp holds the two leaf springs together so they don't slide.  So they do not slide while in use.  The two leaf springs bend to provide suspension.  As I already stated, setup on this post is a little tricky, but its well worth it.  One of the problems is that if you don't get the bottom bolt or seatpost torqued properly then you can get slipping of the post and/or leaf springs, so a torque wrench is really required.  You also need to use carbon assembly paste, but it comes with that.  

Okay, that makes more sense, I figured thats what that bolt was for, but wasn't 100% positive. 

Thanks!
Quote 0 0
DerekJ_MI
I ordered one from Germany.  It took 6 days to get here.  6 days!!  Incredible.

ljsmith wrote:

Quote 0 0
goneskiian
Thanks for the link to Bike Discount! Just got my setback version. Can't wait to try it out on a new build. I'm familiar with the CG-R and like it so this should be the bees knees! 

Cheers!
Quote 0 0
babylou
A nice feature of the Ergon seatpost is the Flip Head.  Changes seatback by something like 14mm.  I'm using the straighter version on a Cannondale Slate.  I don't ever want to go back to a normal seatpost.
Quote 1 0