ATLien
Hi all.  I've been itching to buy Easton's 47/32 double setup for some time now.  Figuring out which cranks to use is the only holdup.  I will not spend $350 - $400 on the EC90's.  So, my questions:

1. Anyone running Easton's gravel rings with aluminum cranks?  Which ones and any feedback?
2. Talk to me about q-factor and race face aeffect cranks.  I'll try to follow along.
3. Any scoop on Easton coming out with semi-affordable EA90 crank arms? I would buy today if they existed.

Thanks!
Quote 0 0
owly
I had a look into this recently. Your best bet is to use a RaceFace crank because of the compatible 'cinch' system with the Easton rings. 

i.e. purchase a suitable set of crank arms only from RaceFace, and purchase the Easton spindle (the spindle is fairly cheap. It is also sold with their Powermeter which is very expensive). The Easton spindle is narrower (used on EC90SL crank) than RaceFace options. 

As for q-factor, using the Easton spindle will give you the narrowest option using the RaceFace crank arms that have the narrowest q-factor. RaceFace has a tech doc on their site which lists some q-factor numbers and also works as a guide in choosing a RaceFace/Easton? bottom bracket (if you wish to use thier bb rather than figure out which one to use from another brand). 

If your setup sees you with a q-factor which is wider than what you currently ride, then from what I've read you may or may not notice the difference (depending how much wider you go).
Quote 0 0
ATLien
owly wrote:
I had a look into this recently. Your best bet is to use a RaceFace crank because of the compatible 'cinch' system with the Easton rings. 

i.e. purchase a suitable set of crank arms only from RaceFace, and purchase the Easton spindle (the spindle is fairly cheap. It is also sold with their Powermeter which is very expensive). The Easton spindle is narrower (used on EC90SL crank) than RaceFace options. 

Thanks for the response.  So, perhaps Race Face Aeffect crank arms.  Do you happen to have a link for the Easton spindle?
Quote 0 0
owly
https://www.bikebug.com/easton-30mm-cinch-spindle-p-102777.html 

^ that's just an example of the spindle. You should be able to find them for sale locally. 
Quote 0 0
BikingRon
Not sure why you are so focused on Easton rings, but I went to Praxis crank and rings to get the 32 small ring.  Install with Praxis BB was very straight forward and the shifting is as good as the Shimano I replaced.
Quote 0 0
bnystrom
Be careful with RaceFace cranks, as some models have "factory pre-assembled" left-side arms and spindles that do not allow interchanging the spindle. I saw one of these on a friend's fat bike last weekend and the reason I looked into it is that his left arm was loose and there is no mechanism for tightening it. It's warranty time for him.

Frankly, unless there's some specific reason you want 47/32 rather than 46/30 chainrings, it's simpler to just buy a complete FSA crank. They make them in both carbon and aluminum at various price points. There's another thread where this has been discussed in-depth.
Quote 0 0
ATLien
Bikerumor article today says Easton EA70 cranks are coming soon (although in the photos it appears they are actually EA90).  Anyone with any scoop, let us know! 
Quote 0 0
epzamora
I have the Praxis Alba 48/32 crankset on my bike. I hadn't heard of Praxis much before last year. So far, so good.

eric/fresno, ca.
Quote 0 0
ATLien
EA90 cranks announced yesterday, $120 (crank arms only).  Pleased to see this, I'm a likely buyer just as soon as I get an injury situation sorted out.

Seems to me that Easton is really filling a need for gravel components (wheels, appropriate gearing drivetrain options, bars).  
Quote 0 0
vdubgeek
BikingRon wrote:
Not sure why you are so focused on Easton rings, but I went to Praxis crank and rings to get the 32 small ring.  Install with Praxis BB was very straight forward and the shifting is as good as the Shimano I replaced.

I'm thinking pretty seriously about going the Praxis route for their 48/32 Zyante with Power Meter setup.  Which of the Praxis crankset did you end up going with?  
Quote 0 0
samongravel
I recently picked up the Easton EC90SL crank and 47/32 gravel rings.  Really was a game changer for me.  Previous crank was the typical compact 50/34.  Might grab a set of the 36/30 rings just to have on hand.  My bike is a J. Guillem Atalaya Titanium with 650b wheels.  Ultegra Di2.  Absolutely the funnest bike I've owned.  Also have a set of 700c wheels for road heavy days.  I've gone to the "One bike for all" approach.   IMG_0495[1].jpg 
Quote 0 0
ATLien
german88 wrote:
I recently picked up the Easton EC90SL crank and 47/32 gravel rings.  Really was a game changer for me.  Previous crank was the typical compact 50/34.  Might grab a set of the 36/30 rings just to have on hand.  My bike is a J. Guillem Atalaya Titanium with 650b wheels.  Ultegra Di2.  Absolutely the funnest bike I've owned.  Also have a set of 700c wheels for road heavy days.  I've gone to the "One bike for all" approach.    

Thanks for the feedback on the ring setup, glad to hear it.  I still haven't pulled the trigger, but should do soon.  Sweet bike!
Quote 0 0