s0ldats
does anyone know if the stock spindle (129) is wide enough to clear a 73mm bb shell?
Quote 0 0
arctic84
Wow, they don't seem to state 73mm on the website, it sounds like you might need a 134 spindle. Are you planning to put it on an MTB?
Quote 0 0
s0ldats
arctic84 wrote:
Wow, they don't seem to state 73mm on the website, it sounds like you might need a 134 spindle. Are you planning to put it on an MTB?

I have a 134mm spindle on the way just in case, but I'd rather not sacrifice the q-factor that i'm used to which is why I was curious if i could fit the original spindle in there. (a likely unrealistic dream).

it's not going on an MTB per se, but the frame in question is a Crust nor'easter which is a light touring frame which happens to have a 73mm bb shell, i suppose mainly for tire clearance reasons?
Quote 0 0
mtbmitch
I installed a Wheels Manufacture angular contact bb on my EC cranks with a 68 bsa Needed to add shims. Will measure it tomorrow evening and let you know how much extra spindle shimmage I have.
Quote 0 0
mtbmitch
I have 3mm of shims with the cinch nut almost all the way backed off. Would be easy for a machinist to face off 2mm of the cinch nut. Spindle is a 129mm.
Quote 0 0
s0ldats
so as an update, i re-measured my shell and as it turns out, MFG spec'd it wrong and it's actually 68mm. spindle and cranks fit fine, but the crank hits the non driveside chainstay!

i will try shimming it out on the NDS stay, but i also have the 134.5 spindle on hand if it comes to that.

how much clearance should i try to have between the crank arm and the chain stay to be safe? (flex etc)
Quote 0 0
mtbmitch

5mm minimum is my thought. How close is your heal to the chain stays?

s0ldats wrote:
so as an update, i re-measured my shell and as it turns out, MFG spec'd it wrong and it's actually 68mm. spindle and cranks fit fine, but the crank hits the non driveside chainstay!

i will try shimming it out on the NDS stay, but i also have the 134.5 spindle on hand if it comes to that.

how much clearance should i try to have between the crank arm and the chain stay to be safe? (flex etc)
Quote 0 0
s0ldats
heel clearance hasn't been measured yet, but i'll try comparing clearances on one of my other bikes and factor in pedal spindle length to see if i'll have enough.
Quote 0 0
Volsung
I'd err on the side of caution to account for frame flex, especially on steel.
Quote 0 0
s0ldats
as an update, ended up having to use the 134.5mm spindle and some spacers to take up the slack.
Quote 0 0
s0ldats
another update: spacing out the chainline with the longer spindle really screwed up my climbing gears.

do i have any options for bringing the chainring a bit more inboard? there is a few mm clearance with my current chainring (42) but i plan on going down to a 38t so there will be a lot of clearance to move inboard.

aaaahhh help!
Quote 0 0
owly
Can you get chainring bolt spacers with enough width in the spacer (which would move your ring toward the frame) to play around with? (assuming your chainring attaches to the inner face of the spider tab).
Quote 0 0
mtbmitch
I installed a Race Face cinch 64/104 adapter to run some Rotor elliptical chainrings. This ended  up moving the chain line in about 4 mm on both chainrings. Had to add 2mm of shims to get derailleur low speed stop in adjustment. So this is an option to bring in your chain line.

do i have any options for bringing the chainring a bit more inboard? there is a few mm clearance with my current chainring (42) but i plan on going down to a 38t so there will be a lot of clearance to move inboard.

aaaahhh help!
Quote 0 0