sincos
Hi all,

New to tubeless here, have one of those "maybe I should have asked before starting ..." questions. I've been running DT Swiss R24 Splines with tubes and decided to switch over. They come pretaped, so all I had to do was install the valve stem and tires (Vittoria Terreno Dry in 700x38). I dumped ~2 floz of Orange Seal goop in the tires before seating, the tires went on easy-peasy with a regular floor pump. After a week they seem to be holding air about as well as with inner tubes.

However, after installing the valve stems I am left with an extra part, which is usually Not A Good Thing when putting stuff together. I'm including a picture. What is that thing for (it's about 1.5 cm long for scale, one comes with each valve stem), and do I really need it? My best guess is a valve core remover, but why the hole and the notch? TIA!

IMG_2331.jpg
Quote 0 0
PMC
Just the valve core remover they all come with. You should put one in your tool box and keep one with you in you seat pack just in case one comes loose. DT tubeless set up is pretty slick, enjoy!
Quote 2 0
jfranci3
You've got it. Sometimes, just like tubes, the valve core thing gets banged up by your pump. Unlike tubes, it gets worn out, clogged, or you want to add more goo. That tool is to remove and replace the core.
You might carry that with you if you carry extra goo, like on a long day out where in you're in a place where you get a lot of flats (dirty kanza, AZ, etc) . Just put it in the toolbox otherwise.
Quote 1 0
sincos
Great, thanks, all! I'll stick one in the seat pack.
Have to say, I was expecting more of an ordeal with goop everywhere, I had a compressor on hand, but the conversion was no more difficult than a regular tire switch. I did mount the TDs with tubes for a week to break them in but I don't know if that made a difference (I used to prestretch tubs on spare rims in my sewup days which helped a LOT so I figured it couldn't hurt).
Quote 0 0
shiggy
The notch allows it to be clipped to the valve stem. I would not trust it to stay in place even on a smooth road.
Quote 0 0
sincos
Honestly I can not imagine leaving on one. That sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
Quote 0 0