radouf
Hey all, first let me put this in context: it with the help of the wonderful people on this forum that a couple seasons back I've made my first stock wheels upgrade on a budget toward a set of DT Swiss ER1600 (32mm depth), and I've been happy with them. There's been some episodes of spokes creaking, but they've been about flawless as far as function goes, even though they're not the lightest.

In the near future I'm looking to swap my beloved 2016 Kona Private Jake (with lots of upgrades) for a 2020 Norco Search XR C2, upon which my mind is pretty much set, and that I can get at a bargain. However I'm having a hard time figuring out what to keep from the bunch of upgrades I've done to the Jake, including, case in point: wheelset. 

The Search XR comes stock with Easton EA70 AX wheels. To my understanding, they pretty much fall in the same tier as the DT, or maybe just a bit under. Easton wheels have got going for them that they have a wider inner rim (24mm vs 20mm), which I generally like for my rougher gravel riding style. They're also just a bit lighter (100g or so). And of course, they're brand new.

However, the DT hubs are known for being bulletproof -- unsure about the Easton ones. One can also upgrade the star-ratchet system from the DT hubs ...But the DT wheels have a couple of rough seasons to them. What do you guys reckon I should keep? Knowing that the other set will be put up for sale with the Jake.

To put things in a broader picture, I then intend to keep the chosen wheels as my 'rolling' gravel set (probably with some 40 to 42mm tires on), then get an entry level set of 650b wheels to try out (outfitted with more agressive trail tires, 50 to 55mm), before buying into a higher spec wheelset of my favorite size.

Cheers guys,

F
Quote 0 0
Rocking
I have a soft spot for DT Swiss having them in the past on road bikes and currently have DT Swiss MT1900 on my mountain bike.  I haven't experienced the ER1600. I've never had an issue with any of my DT Swiss wheels and they've all stayed true except for the one time my rear wheel took a side impact from a car bumper.  My current gravel bike is a Carbonda 696 that I put the Easton EA70 AX wheels on paired with Maxxis Re-Fuse 40 mm tires.  I now have about 500 miles on them and they've worked flawlessly.  They sure set up easy as tubeless and I run them about 30 PSI.  So don't know if I've helped your decision much except to say that my experience with the EA70 AX has so far been good.
Quote 1 0
clarksonxc
I really like the DT swiss full wheels as well, but if you're planning on a bigger upgrade down the road, I'd keep the wheelsets as they are now for the time being.  No sense switching them over for a year or two if they are that similar, and will probably be swapped out later anyways...
Quote 1 0
GravelCat
I've only read positive things about DT Swiss so that's what I went with, GR 1600s. Hopefully they live up to the hype.
Quote 1 0
radouf

GravelCat: I have no doubt they will! For me, they’ve proved bulletproof; for two seasons I’ve thrown ridiculous singletracks at them and they stayed 100% true. Only actual concern wasn’t even functional, it was just some creaking from the spokes ‘rubbing’ together, which was fixed by sliding in the tiniest cutout bits of tube at the crossings (lube wouldn’t work).

My 32mm deep rims do catch wind from the side. And sometimes I wished for more engagement points, as well as a louder hub. But as far as bang for bucks go, I’ve been totally satisfied with my purchase. 

Ride on!

GravelCat wrote:
I've only read positive things about DT Swiss so that's what I went with, GR 1600s. Hopefully they live up to the hype.

Quote 0 0