idun
Hi guys, getting ready for Rasputitsa. 

For the last 2 years, I used a set of 33c Clement MXP for this event (and 100b7).
This year I would like to go a bit wider (36 or 38) with a less agressive thread. 

I'm considering either the new EMP 38 or X'plor MSO 36
What do you think ?

Quote 0 0
Zurichman
I have never ridden the X'plor MSO 36 but have ridden the MSO's 700 x 40. I really like them.

Zman
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 1 0
GHC
Well, considering you have ridden it twice (and I haven't), you should be the one to make that judgement better than anybody.

Donnelly says .......

"    The EMP, Donnelly’s most aggressive gravel-specific tire to date, provides necessary traction when things get loose yet rolls with incredible efficiency when the terrain levels out. Beefy side knobs borrowed from the equally combative BOS cyclocross tire (named for wintry Boston ‘cross conditions) offer impeccable cornering control and the integrated protection belt helps ward off punctures. The center tread design borrows slightly from Donnelly’s MSO which, to date, was considered the most aggressive in their steadfast gravel stable.    "

So......the EMP is marketed as having a more aggressive tread than the MSO ....and from looking at them, I would say that's accurate.    So you decide how much tread you think you will need for the course.

That typed, I ride tubeless MSO's and like them a lot.  They do great for me on gravel !!! .  OK for intermittent mud, but I wouldn't call them a mud tire by any stretch.  

Selfishly I want you to ride the EMP's ....and report how you like them. 

Good luck on the ride.
Quote 0 0
olapiquena
Of the three you posted, it looks like the EMP is the one i'd go with (just on tread pattern... no experience with actual tire).  Though it still looks like it has a lot of tighter tread. I generally don't think the MSO is all that great for western ma/vermont dirt. It's fine when it's dry, but when it's dry there are a lot better/faster tires to be ridden.  When it's soft, they pack out (for me) and become useless. 

I'm guessing it's going to be suuuuper muddy this year. If so, i'll likely roll with my WTB resolutes (650b). But who knows... maybe it will just be icy for the first half again... or fastest on slicks, again... ðŸ˜‚  

Quote 2 0
leggett24
My experience with Rasputitsa is it's hard packed dirt, wet and sandy or comically unrideable mud/ slush/ snow. Resolutes get me through the first two better than anything I've ever ridden. Maple syrup, waterproof shoes and a good attitude get me through the rest 🙂.
A fast rolling tire for the vast majority of the course seems to be the way to go. I can't imagine there's any tire that could have let me ride through the mud pit near the end two years ago and even if you can ride through Cyberia, last year it was certainly faster to run. 
Of your choices I'd say MSO
Quote 2 0
Fishman
Given my experience with Rasputitsa, if I had to pick a tire right now for the event 30 days from now I would go with the EMP 38. Looks to be good all a rounder. 

I will be making a tire choice a few days before the event after considering local road conditions and the weather forecast.    
Quote 1 0
Zurichman
leggett24 wrote:
My experience with Rasputitsa is it's hard packed dirt, wet and sandy or comically unrideable mud/ slush/ snow. Resolutes get me through the first two better than anything I've ever ridden. Maple syrup, waterproof shoes and a good attitude get me through the rest 🙂.
A fast rolling tire for the vast majority of the course seems to be the way to go. I can't imagine there's any tire that could have let me ride through the mud pit near the end two years ago and even if you can ride through Cyberia, last year it was certainly faster to run. 
Of your choices I'd say MSO

Curious as to what your waterproof shoes are. I didn't think there was such an animal.

Zman
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 0 0
leggett24

Curious as to what your waterproof shoes are. I didn't think there was such an animal.

Specialized Defrosters, I’ve had great luck with them. I never get water coming in at my foot but obviously it can seep down from the top above my ankle
Quote 0 0
idun
enough proscatinating... i ordered a set of tubeless EMP. I will update you.
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
idun wrote:
enough proscatinating... i ordered a set of tubeless EMP. I will update you.

I will enjoy the ride report as I am not sure what tires to buy after my current set wears out.

Zman
Quote 0 0
BubbaS
I like my EMP's so far, I have a couple of rides on them, light muck, snow and ice, and dryer hard pack dirt. They don't seem to clog up like the G-one all rounds in the muck and had good traction on most things. They did make a bit of noise on the hard pack dirt at moderate speeds. They mounted up tubeless reasonably well but I had to get a ride in on them so that the sealant filled the voids and they stopped leaking: this didn't seem unreasonable. 
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
BubbaS wrote:
I like my EMP's so far, I have a couple of rides on them, light muck, snow and ice, and dryer hard pack dirt. They don't seem to clog up like the G-one all rounds in the muck and had good traction on most things. They did make a bit of noise on the hard pack dirt at moderate speeds. They mounted up tubeless reasonably well but I had to get a ride in on them so that the sealant filled the voids and they stopped leaking: this didn't seem unreasonable. 

Thanks for the ride report. I know my Clement(now Donnley) XPLOR mso clog up in the muck. I have read on here about the Stan's Shake where you basically shake the tire really good at say 40 - 50 lbs. psi and then let the tire late flat on top of a 5 gallon bucket for 12-24 hrs to help fill what you call the voids. I think since it was awhile ago since I read it that you might flip the tire over to the other side after a 8-12 hrs. Might be worth a try the next time you mount a set of tire. Give us some more feedback after a few more test rides. To somebody that has more tire knowledge than me is this what you call a supple tire(higher thread count) Like the Compass tires. What is the thread count on this tire 60 or 120?

Thanks
Zman
Quote 0 0
BubbaS
Thanks Zman,

I decided not to bother with the Stans process. I have done it with MTB tires and it worked well, it seems easier to just go for a ride. These ended up sitting around for a week or so while I rode the G-Ones on the pavement, so the bead didn't seal properly. They do feel more confidence inspiring cornering than the G-ones, I will post a update after a couple of more rides, The next ride is likely to be a combo of gravel and pavement. 
Quote 0 0
idun
tested the EMP last weekend on a mix of asphalt and gravel... dry, wet, icy... they feel quite fast considering the thread pattern. Nice grip on all surfaces. Very please overall. Haven't tried them in mud... we just received more than 25 cm of snow, I guess I should able to find some mud this weekend !
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
idun wrote:
tested the EMP last weekend on a mix of asphalt and gravel... dry, wet, icy... they feel quite fast considering the thread pattern. Nice grip on all surfaces. Very please overall. Haven't tried them in mud... we just received more than 25 cm of snow, I guess I should able to find some mud this weekend !

I would be interested in how they do in the mud as my mso don't like the mud and pack up.

Thanks
Zman
Quote 0 0
idun
Zurichman wrote:

I would be interested in how they do in the mud as my mso don't like the mud and pack up.

Thanks
Zman

very impressive tire overall.

I'm back from Rasputitsa, the weather was miserable… we got rain and snow, very cold. I managed to pedal my way through the deep mud sections. Traction was never an issue. The EMP's were the tool for this event.
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
idun wrote:

very impressive tire overall.

I'm back from Rasputitsa, the weather was miserable… we got rain and snow, very cold. I managed to pedal my way through the deep mud sections. Traction was never an issue. The EMP's were the tool for this event.

Thanks for that info. Looks like I have my mud tire then.

Zman
Quote 0 0