epzamora
I'm considering a new pair of tights or knickers. I've got a pair of long thermal tights, Bellweather, still doing fine from the late 80s/early90s. I like the feel of keeping my thighs warms, and I've read keeping your knees warm can be crucial. But it doesn't get THAT cold around here in central California, maybe mid-40s. Anything colder, and I'm probably just staying home.

It can be grey, cold, drizzly, and foggy at times, dropping to low 40s, and warming up a bit later. Knickers have piqued my curiosity.  I may be considering Voler, but Pactimo's 3/4 seem to be longer. These would be mainly for fall/winter/spring.

Who uses knickers? Have you felt they were just a little too specialized and unnecessary? Or do you feel they fill a niche that works perfectly for you? thanks!

-eric/fresno, ca.
Quote 0 0
Jeb
I have 2 pair of Ibex woolen knickers that I love. The fit is great and they have windproof patches over the knees to keep those puppies warm. They work well in temps from the mid 20s to about 50. I usually wear them with a pair of Darn Tough wool mountaineering socks so my lower legs are covered but not windproof. Too bad Ibex went out of business.
Quote 1 0
epzamora
Jeb wrote:
Too bad Ibex went out of business.

I grabbed an extra pair of fingerless wool gloves before they shutdown. They made good stuff. Unfortunately, even their clearance prices were still kind of high.
Quote 0 0
mcgc47
Epzamora,
i wear bib knickers anytime the air temperature is below 60. I have old knees and the knickers keep the chill off, leaving the rest of the lower legs to get more air depending on the sock length you choose.  Voler has a few pair on sale today, I bought another pair for future use.
Good luck
Quote 0 0
epzamora
mcgc47 wrote:
Voler has a few pair on sale today, I bought another pair for future use.
Good luck

Thanks! I don't see any knicker bibs on sale though. do you have a direct link? 
Quote 0 0
mcgc47
Epzamora,
This link should work

https://www.voler.com/store/winteressentials/?promo=wintersale
Quote 1 0
sgtrobo
I am wearing those exact Voler thermal bib knickers at this very moment, and I absolutely love them. It was mid-20s this morning, and the moment I got to pedaling, my legs warmed up (as did my derriere). 
Quote 1 0
tschmidty

I have a set of Craft and Giordana Knickers. First off, thermal knickers are fantastic, super comfortable for me from 40-65. Two things are great, they fit well and don't have any tendency to slide down your leg like full tights do since they end above your calf, and they don't get overheated the way tights can. The Giordana is more comfortable, but not crazy about the reflective piping on the side. The pad on the Craft is too short in the front to cover the manhood, so he not only gets cold, he also peeks out like a turtle coming out of his shell. I sewed a windstop and fleece layer to extend the pad, comfortable now but hard to recommend if you want them comfy out of the bag.

I don't recall where I got the Giordana's but I raced for them and they are local to Charlotte, NC so who knows. Here are the Crafts: 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E68QP6U/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another piece of gear I ride with a lot in 52-70 degree weather is these Rapha Thermal Bib Shorts I got on sale. Insanely comfortable, insanely expensive ($205 on sale, wut!!!), but honestly I'd say they are worth it. Had them two years and are pretty much my go to short for 3 seasons out of the year, and the pad is still super comfortable and everything about them is still in perfect shape even the logos on the sides are still perfect. 

Here is what I got https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/pro-team-thermal-bib-shorts-ii/product/THB05XXBPK

They have a knicker set that I am sure is good 
https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/3-4-bib-shorts/product/BSL01XX

Sign up for the newsletter and get in on a sale but I really can't say enough good things about their stuff. It is ridiculously expensive, but the quality and durability is top notch and at this point in my life and with how much I ride, I'd rather buy one pair of great shorts for $200 than 3 pairs of mediocre ones. Ridden a lot of race team kits so I have gone through lots of mediocre shorts over the years, good for the first month or two but that's about it.

Quote 1 0
tschmidty
I don't know why the formatting is so messed up in my post. Found the Girodanas and looks like they can get crazy expensive. For the price no way I can recommend them. I have ridden a lot of Voler and Giordana (sponsored by both for 10+ years different times) and neither one is that comfortable or durable to be honest. The Raphas are just so much better I have a hard time riding in any of my other shorts.
Quote 0 0
epzamora
tschmidty wrote:
The Raphas are just so much better I have a hard time riding in any of my other shorts.

Thanks! But I just bit the bullet on a pair of Pactimo thermal 3/4 bibs. I was impressed with the quality of their normal bib shorts, and their current sale brought the normal $155 price down to $85.

eric/fresno, ca.
Quote 0 0
bnystrom
Back when I was racking in the late '70's (yeah, I'm that old), I was taught by an old Belgian rider to keep my knees covered whenever the temp was below 70 degrees. I've lived by that ever since and it has served me well. I used to wear shorts with tights over them, but since trying knickers a few years back, I've come to rely on them a lot here in New Hampshire. I generally wear them alone when temps are between 50 and 70, but wear tights (without chamois) over them when temps get colder. This gives me a double layer over my knees and thighs. When temps get really cold, I wear Gore tights over the knickers.

I find that Castelli Sorpasso knickers fit me best (I have long legs) and I can often find them on sale around half-price during the summer months. I have a pair each of Voler and Craft knickers, but don't find them as comfortable, though perhaps they've improved since I bought mine.

Regardless, knickers are great and I wouldn't be without them, BTW, all of my shorts and knickers are bibs, as I find them to be much more comfortable than having elastic digging into my waist.
Quote 2 0
cpark
I cover my knees anytime the temperature drops below 60’s, so I wear them quite a bit.  
I have several Assos, Gore, and PI ones. 
I also have a few winter shorts and knees warmers.
Quote 0 0
bnystrom
I use bib shorts with knee warmers on rides that start out cool, but will warm up into the 70s or more. I also use arm warmers with short sleeve jerseys in the same scenario.
Quote 0 0
pete kumble
I use bib knickers in temps below 60 or so degrees F.  One pair that I have had for 13 years are some Pearl Izumi knicks.  Size large is very comfortable.  I also have a pair of Rapha insulated bib knickers that I had to return for XL size.  I know that this post started by the OP is a bit dated but for anyone else out there, I say invest in a pair of bib knickers.  They will become one of your go-to items that you will pull out for many rides.
Quote 0 0
SWGraveler
I lived in Az so I wear knickers a lot during the winter; after living here for 10 years it seems pretty cold at times haha. Seriously though, staying warm is key; a lot of folks have the HTFU mentality but your body doesn't buy that. When your skin is cold, blood is routed there to protect it so less flows to the muscles is what I have always been told. My logic is that opening a zipper solves being hot but if I'm underdressed it sucks.. So, another yes vote for knickers, they are great. I have a few pairs and my Rapha's are my favorite. I buy into(literally) the expensive but worth it camp when it comes to Rapha.  As with anything that is worn, your experience may be different..
Quote 0 0
epzamora
I've been wearing my new knickers, or 3/4 length thermal bibs, for a month now and love them. Keeping your knees warm just feels better overall. during this past month i also tried regular bib shorts, and then also with knee warmers. Shorts didn't feel as good, and the knee warmers kept slipping down. Knickers are the way to go. I've been riding in 48-60 degree weather, some light rain on certain days.

eric/fresno, ca.
Quote 1 0
Slim
I think knickers are great, only problem for me is that they are to short most of the time, so I use thermal shorts and knee warmers.
The front of my knees are always cold, so if I had the option, I would wear knickers almost al the time.
Quote 0 0
bnystrom
What brands have you tried? I have long legs and find that Castelli knickers fit me well.
Quote 0 0