andrewins
Hi guys and girls.

I want to buy a wheelset for Carbonda cfr505. I will use it as a road bike most of the time. I will also have some crosscountry/cyclocross/gravel events one or two times in a month. I'd like to have one wheelset and 2 type of tires for it: 700x28 and 700x40. ETRTO charts say that the rims with 18 mm and 19 mm inner width will suit 700x28 and 700x40 tires - https://bikerumor.com/2016/08/12/tech-story-match-bicycle-tire-width-rim-width-best-results/

I found two wheelsets by DT Swiss that have 18 mm inner width and that weight 1500 gr or lower:

DT Swiss PR 1400 Dicut DB 21mm Wheelset - 562,18 €
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/dt-swiss-pr-1400-dicut-db-21mm-wheelset-661795

DT Swiss 
PR 1600 Dicut DB 21mm Wheelset - 461,34 €
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/dt-swiss-pr-1600-dicut-db-21mm-laufradsatz-661825

Are there other wheelsets on the market that will suit 28 and 40 tires at a lower price without being heavier than 1500 gr? Will it be more cheap to build a wheelset?
Quote 0 0
HollyBoni

1500g and these requirements... Hmm. Personally i'd also like a bit more spokes than these DT road wheels have. 😉 Might be just me but i'd have a hard time trusting these things while bouncing around on a gravel bike with skinny tyres on XC terrain. 

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/gravel-wheels/products/4season-gravel-disc-road-cx-wheelset-1589g-24deep-24wide

Personally I can recommend these wheels. I've been on these things for more than a year now. I bottomed out the front tyre so many times offroad yet there isn't a single ding on the rim and they're as true as when I took them out of the box. For the specs and price I think 1629g is pretty darn good especially considering how durable they've been for me. I regularly ride my gravel bike on terrain where I meet dudes on XC bikes.
Customer service is great too, if there is a problem you're talking directly to them, not waiting on a webshop for ages. 

For built wheels check out https://www.actionsports.deThey mainly carry DT stuff. You can play with their builder, you can see weights and prices.

Quote 2 0
dangle
I think you're eventually going to wish you had a wider wheel. Not many people put faith in those ETRTO guidelines.

Those linked wheels seems like a pretty fantastic value if that's what you want. Unless you go carbon fiber, it's going to be hard to find durable wheels any lighter than that. 1600 grams seems close to what it takes to get a reasonable strong aluminum wheelset with a 21-23 mm inner rim width.

I think most of us are USA based as well and might not be great help for finding reasonably priced wheels in the eurozone.
Quote 1 0
owly
I'd have a look through Slowbuild eu. Prices are pretty good on stock wheels and custom.
Quote 1 0
andrewins
owly wrote:
I'd have a look through Slowbuild eu. Prices are pretty good on stock wheels and custom.

Thank you for the link! They have 1500 gramm wheelsets cheaper than on bike-discount.
Quote 0 0
andrewins
dangle wrote:
I think you're eventually going to wish you had a wider wheel. Not many people put faith in those ETRTO guidelines.

Those linked wheels seems like a pretty fantastic value if that's what you want. Unless you go carbon fiber, it's going to be hard to find durable wheels any lighter than that. 1600 grams seems close to what it takes to get a reasonable strong aluminum wheelset with a 21-23 mm inner rim width.

I think most of us are USA based as well and might not be great help for finding reasonably priced wheels in the eurozone.

Once I tried to install 700x28 tires on a wheel that have 25 mm inner width. Hopefully they exploded not on the road :) I prefere using ETRTO guidelines since this time :)
Quote 0 0
andrewins
HollyBoni wrote:

1500g and these requirements... Hmm. Personally i'd also like a bit more spokes than these DT road wheels have. 😉 Might be just me but i'd have a hard time trusting these things while bouncing around on a gravel bike with skinny tyres on XC terrain. 

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/gravel-wheels/products/4season-gravel-disc-road-cx-wheelset-1589g-24deep-24wide

Personally I can recommend these wheels. I've been on these things for more than a year now. I bottomed out the front tyre so many times offroad yet there isn't a single ding on the rim and they're as true as when I took them out of the box. For the specs and price I think 1629g is pretty darn good especially considering how durable they've been for me. I regularly ride my gravel bike on terrain where I meet dudes on XC bikes.
Customer service is great too, if there is a problem you're talking directly to them, not waiting on a webshop for ages. 

For built wheels check out https://www.actionsports.deThey mainly carry DT stuff. You can play with their builder, you can see weights and prices.

Thanks for your thoughts and links!
Quote 0 0
HollyBoni
andrewins wrote:

Once I tried to install 700x28 tires on a wheel that have 25 mm inner width. Hopefully they exploded not on the road 😉 I prefere using ETRTO guidelines since this time 😉

With road tyres it's easy to get a rim that's wider than the tyre itself. Generally speaking just avoid that. So for example a 25mm outside diameter rim and 28mm tyre is fine, but if you go wider with the rim you might have problems. What i've seen a lot is when the rim is too wide the bead of the tyre can't go up into the bead of the rim, it sits lower, therefore you have a huge bump in the tyre. There is a technique to pull it out, but it's not an ideal situation. 

I'd say don't go wider than 20mm ID if you really want to use 28mm tyres, but if it's your first gravel bike you're going to end up using wider tyres all the time anyways, you'll see. 

The ETRTO guidline is fine but for 40mm tyres i'd prefer a 20mm, nothing narrower. And watch out because these light 18mm 24 spoke rims are just plain old road bike wheels, not necessarily suitable for offroad.
Quote 1 0
andrewins
HollyBoni wrote:

With road tyres it's easy to get a rim that's wider than the tyre itself. Generally speaking just avoid that. So for example a 25mm outside diameter rim and 28mm tyre is fine, but if you go wider with the rim you might have problems. What i've seen a lot is when the rim is too wide the bead of the tyre can't go up into the bead of the rim, it sits lower, therefore you have a huge bump in the tyre. There is a technique to pull it out, but it's not an ideal situation. 

I'd say don't go wider than 20mm ID if you really want to use 28mm tyres, but if it's your first gravel bike you're going to end up using wider tyres all the time anyways, you'll see. 

The ETRTO guidline is fine but for 40mm tyres i'd prefer a 20mm, nothing narrower. And watch out because these light 18mm 24 spoke rims are just plain old road bike wheels, not necessarily suitable for offroad.

I want to use this bike for road riding and road racing mostly and just few times a month for cyclocross/crosscountry/gravel riding and racing. Wanted to have just one light wheelset and two sets of tires. What would you recommend - to chose 700x32 and 700x40 or 700x28 and 700x38 with those wheelsets from DT swiss? Or you think this wheelset will be broken on the first crosscountry ride?
Quote 0 0
HollyBoni
andrewins wrote:

I want to use this bike for road riding and road racing mostly and just few times a month for cyclocross/crosscountry/gravel riding and racing. Wanted to have just one light wheelset and two sets of tires. What would you recommend - to chose 700x32 and 700x40 or 700x28 and 700x38 with those wheelsets from DT swiss? Or you think this wheelset will be broken on the first crosscountry ride?

I don't want to say that these DTs will break in half the minute you go offroad, but personally I would go with something a bit more burly. 28 spokes, something a bit wider, and unless you go crazy with the budget I think the lower 1600g range is more realistic. But that's just me. Personally i'd also run a good 38-40mm allrounder tyre all the time, but if you're taking part in actual road races then yep you are going to want something narrower. 
Quote 1 0
Mudge
HollyBoni wrote:

I use the HED Plus rims (~20.5 mm internal width) with tires as narrow as 23mm, no problems. Certainly no reason you should worry about running 28s on rims that wide.

A more important issue, for me at least, would be running 40mm tires on them. Doable, but not optimal. I would look for rims around 21-23mm internal width.
Quote 2 0
LewisQC
Take a look at dtswiss ER 1400. 20mm inner width. 1474g. There's also CR 1400 but no discount on those and inner width of 22 might be too much for 28 tires?

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/dt-swiss-er-1400-spline-db-21mm-wheelset-662504
Quote 1 0
bktechflower
I have two sets of Campagnolo Scirocco Disc Brake wheels. I have not had these wheels for very long yet but I am very happy with them. They aren't quite as lite at 1738g but they are more aero and they are less money. I am in the US and had to order them from Europe. So far I have only used them on road rides as my second set just came in. I don't want to have to switch tires, especially since I am going tubeless. As far as gravel ride durability, I am assuming they should hold up as Campy advertises them as having a Gravel/CX kit with steel bearings for them, although that kit isn't available yet.

I look at this option this way. You could sacrifice a little weight, gain aerodynamics, go up in price a little bit but get two sets of wheels and then not have to switch tires when you want to do different rides, you can just swap out wheels. BTW I have 28 tubeless road tires on there and just put on some 38 tubed cyclocross tires on and could easily go wider.

https://www.starbike.com/en/campagnolo-scirocco-disc-clincher-wheelset-12mm-ta-afs/
https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Wheels/scirocco_disc_brake

Have fun deciding.

Quote 1 0
dangle
Mudge wrote:
I use the HED Plus rims (~20.5 mm internal width) with tires as narrow as 23mm, no problems. Certainly no reason you should worry about running 28s on rims that wide.

A more important issue, for me at least, would be running 40mm tires on them. Doable, but not optimal. I would look for rims around 21-23mm internal width.

Exactly. There's thousands and thousands of people running 23c tires on HED Jet Plus wheels that measure right about 21 mm inside. That's my time trial setup, but the tires measure 26 mm or so. You never hear people complaining about HED Jets. Specialized and ENVE have been using the same inner width for small road tires for the last few years as well.
Quote 2 0
HollyBoni
Mudge wrote:

Maybe because it was mostly low end stuff but when I worked in a bike shop i've seen so many tyres on rims that were too wide. It was usually 20mm ID trekking rims with 23mm road tyres and the bead of the tyre just wouldn't go up in the the bead of the rim without some help. Yeah some other things could cause this but 9 out of 10 times this was on a rim and tyre combo that was questionable. But sometimes it worked flawlessly. I think it's like tubeless compatibility, different tolerances. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. 

I run 40mm and 43mm GravelKing SKs on 20mm ID rims and I never feel like I need a wider rim. IMO for this kind of use it's just unnecessary weight. The tyre doesn't feel like it needs more support and it's not too lightbulb shaped. But of course everyone and every manufacturer has a different opinion about this. Check out what Stans recommends for example. They say that for their 23mm rim the ideal tyre width is 2.0-2.25", and then you have things like Maxxis WT. It's all a bit of a mess. [smile]
If you look at cross country bikes 25mm is still pretty standard and they run 2.2-2.3" tyres. Personally I don't see a reason to run a 23mm ID rim for a 40mm tyre, but that's just me, my opinon.
Quote 1 0
Volsung
I didnt read every post, but remember that rim weight is the important weight. When you get a factory wheelset often they offset heavy rims with weak parts like aluminum nipples and hubs
Quote 2 0
andrewins
LewisQC wrote:
Take a look at dtswiss ER 1400. 20mm inner width. 1474g. There's also CR 1400 but no discount on those and inner width of 22 might be too much for 28 tires?

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/dt-swiss-er-1400-spline-db-21mm-wheelset-662504

Thank you and thanks to all who replied in this thread! I think I will buy the wheelset from your link or will try to find similar with 20mm inner width at a lower price. 
Quote 0 0
owly
andrewins wrote:

Thank you and thanks to all who replied in this thread! I think I will buy the wheelset from your link or will try to find similar with 20mm inner width at a lower price. 

https://www.wheelproject.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=61_108&product_id=820&sort=p.price&order=DESC&limit=100 

I forgot to mention Wheelproject. Have one wheelset built up from them; all good. 

Have a look through their Road Wheels; view by price. See what they have.
Quote 1 0
monkeyrider
I've ridden Velocity A23s for years. I have 28mm road tires on them now and have gone has wide as a 42mm gravel tire. I don't know what they weigh and I don't care. Durability, especially on gravel, is more important to me. Cheap and lightweight wheels won't be durable.
Quote 2 0
oleritter
I would seriously caution using weight as your #1 criteria for choosing wheels.  Holly and other people here are right, in that 1600g is a pretty good starting point for any disc wheel set. 

I concur with 20mm internal.  

There are disc wheels out there now really designed for road bikes, riding on smooth roads.  Gravel wheels, well it depends where you are actually riding, but generally speaking, gravel wheels should be built to take a little more punishment.

DT wheels are good, and all their products, but that's not to say those really light wheels are going to be the best choice for a lot of people.  And I do recall someone here that did have some issues.  

And I'll just throw it out here -- If you are looking at Hunt, or DT, or some other wheelset, at least give me a chance to offer you something (hand built) that matches the price and specs.  We are working on some new hubs and should have soon some really competitively specced and priced wheelsets starting at $400. Cannonballs_01.jpg I think these wheels belong to a forum member here if I'm not mistaken.  epzamora ?
I Build Wheels @millcitycycle

https://www.facebook.com/millcitycycle/
Quote 1 0
Involuntarysoul
why are people comparing Hunts to DT? Hunts use cheap rebranded Novatec hubs that's unreliable at best, the DT 1400 use 240s and 1600 use 350s, totally different league 
Quote 0 0