GravelInSipsey
E46308AC-5462-4D09-84F9-CCCE49521212.jpeg  5FDBC8BD-5B9E-40F6-AE01-2E1F98DF8829.jpeg 

About 250 miles ago I put on a set of new tires. 700x 40c Continental Terra Trail on the Front and Terra Speed on the back. Tonight they came off. Two punctures that required patches, and so many small holes on both tires I’m loosing sealant and pressure, so I’m done with them. 

Riding gravel roads I’ve ridden for thousands of miles, with no issues like this on other tires. Gravel is pretty typical Alabama farm roads. 

Tried them because I like Continental road tires, but thin casing and lack of puncture protection did them in. 
Quote 2 1
GravelInSipsey
Also thought I’d add this. Tires inflated to exactly 40mm on a 23mm rim. Road tire fast and supple on packed dirt, grass, and pea gravel. For my weight, 35 psi worked. Not the best choice for anything rough or with sharp edged gravel. 
Quote 0 1
ljsmith
Whats funny is I posted about this a while ago, and everyone else who had these tires had no idea what I was talking about.  I have these tires on two bikes.  Your problem is not punctures.  The tires actually have all these pin hole leaks when they are new out of the box.  On one bike I actually had to patch a new tire in two places.  You don't notice the leaks at first, but once they sit for a few days you start to see the wet spots like you are.  The tires were going flat overnight when I was using Stans sealant.  I switched to Continental tire sealant, and while they still leak they do not go flat overnight anymore.  I actually like the tires on the trail, but Continental really needs to learn how to make a tubeless tire.

Terra Speed.jpg 
Quote 0 0
Alex_C
Thanks for sharing. I was eyeing these tires up, but I'll wait until v2.
Quote 0 0
GravelInSipsey

ljsmith wrote:
Whats funny is I posted about this a while ago, and everyone else who had these tires had no idea what I was talking about.

well, I understand what you are talking about and thanks for sharing. Will put my pair aside for now. As I’m a sucker for trying something new, I installed a set of 45mm Kendra Alluviums this morning that my LBS just got in. 

Quote 0 0
holau
Hi, 
I also like Continental and love the GP 4 Seasosn on my commuter, even in the rain it gives me a lot of confidence in corners etc.
Actually I´m running GoodYear Connector in 40mm and was surprised about the lines I could ride on Greek rocky and sharp Gravelroads compared to Schwalbe G-One Allround I had before. I also trust this tire a lot and after 2000km they look quite ok. I had only one problem with the bubble in the picture, a puncture was sealed by the milkit sealant, but the rubber obviously delaminated in a diameter of 1.5 centimetres and made this bubble. After  pushing a key inside everything looked fine again and since 200km no issues...

Has anyone experience with the Connector compared to the Continetal and what would you choose if a new tire is needed?
Giving a try to the Continental or not? Anything else?

Thanks!

Bubble.jpg 
Quote 0 0
baron
Mine do the exact same thing. I put them on the day before I road in the Mid South and didn't have any issues with them going flat and didn't have them on long enough to notice if there were any pinholes before taking off. I found them to be fast and supple, with pretty good grip even in the muddy mess we had this year. I've put 1000 total miles on them and I've never gotten a flat either. I've just aired them up before heading out. Adding some sealant soon. But I agree, not the best quality assurance when you get up and see the sealant slowly leaking out over a few days. 🙂
Quote 1 0
mattgersib
I rode the Terra Trail and Terra Speed tires for several months and hundreds of miles before writing the Riding Gravel review. They were very reliable for me during the test period. Since publishing the review, the Terra Speed (on the rear) has developed some of the pinhole leaking, however the actual pressure loss hasn't been significant. Both tires continue to hold air reliably and are getting ridden regularly on the Gulo Composites wheels I'm currently testing.

FWIW, I've had a number of different tires that slowly 'weep' sealant through the sidewalls and/or tread (more often the sidewalls). The phenomenon isn't solely a Continental issue, nor does it seem to be a performance issue on the road, at least in my experience.
Quote 0 0
mattgersib
… My theory is that tires optimized for speed and rolling resistance (or lack thereof) are more prone to weeping than heavier, slower tires. For me it's been an acceptable tradeoff on my fast gravel bikes. My long haul and bikepacking rigs run more substantial rubber, however.
Quote 0 0
dangle
Geez. Send them to me. I go through a couple pairs of gravel tires a year and the Terra Speeds are currently my favorite for midwest riding. They roll really well and measure exactly as labeled on an i23 rim. I haven't had a hint of weeping with Orange Seal.
Quote 1 0
GravelInSipsey
Well, guess I'm a little less disappointed with more info, and I'll have the tires on hand when I need a "go faster" set of tires. I appreciate all the responses.

There are lots of great tires out there.  For me, I'm willing to trade off a bit of suppleness for durability.  My rides can take me a good ways from cell phone coverage, and peace of mind is a criteria. I've worn out GKs, Terreno Drys, and others.  We'll see how the Kendra's hold up.
Quote 0 0
EBG18T
Very interesting and disappointing at the same time. I’m about to try the Michelin Power Gravel, hopefully they fair better than the Conti’s. 
Quote 0 0
baron
I put on the Power Gravel tires last week and they have been great, so far!
No weeping (yet). They aren't as supple feeling as the conti's, but tbh, I kinda got over that after a few miles on the road. You will enjoy them, I think.
Quote 0 0
chas
odd.  I haven't had any problem with my speeds.  They even hold air with no sealant.

They shouldn't have pinholes - they have a tire lining that kinda takes place of an inner tube (making the tire air tight).    

As with dangle above, I'm using orange seal, and no issues.  Conti does state that you should use their own sealant - makes me wonder if there is some kind of sealant incompatibility?  Why would they say to use only their own sealant????  

I have had the above problems (blistering and weaping from holes in the tread) with Maxis Ramblers.  These do not have lining, and thus are a bit lighter.  Never really caused me a problem, although I did retire them from tubless use when they started blistering (whats up with that???).

If you need a replacement for the Terra speed, use the Schwalbe G-One Allround.  It has very similar characteristics (but lasts longer), and has been around longer than anything else.   Its very well proven, they got it right out of the box on that one.
Quote 0 0
dangle
chas wrote:
If you need a replacement for the Terra speed, use the Schwalbe G-One Allround.  It has very similar characteristics (but lasts longer), and has been around longer than anything else.   Its very well proven, they got it right out of the box on that one.

I have been riding these two back to back lately and I agree. My 38 Allrounds measure 3 mm wider at the casing (43 mm) than the 40 Terra Speed at 40 mm even on i23 rims. Both roll really well. I think the G One gives up a little in grip, but is more durable.

I felt like the Terra Speed wore in quickly, but didn't change much after that initial wear-in. I have got to have a thousand miles on them and they probably look like they did around ~150.
Quote 0 0
jfranci3
Both mine and my neighbors have slow weeps out the center tread on both our tires. You need to put the tires in the tub of water to find them.  I've tried different goos, resting the goo over the hole, over filling with air, etc.
Quote 0 0
chas
I was wrong.   😲

Just started riding my speeds for fall.  Yup, after yesterday's rides, they have 7 wet spots (rear only).  All of them are accompanied by a small cut that was sealed by Orange seal (TM).  Not really a problem, but it is a thing
(looked like @GravelInSipsey had some good slices in his tires too - maybe its a byproduct of running a semi-slick).

(yep, and the 40c tires measure 2mm skinnier than my other 40c tires).
Quote 0 0