pmdundee Show full post »
fatcharlie
mikeyro, I also have a 2016 Haanjo Trail and I had a terrible time finding the "sweet spot" with the 5800 ft derailleur, but it can be done.  The lever arm on the ft derailleur barely cleared 40mm tires; when my 40mm Nano Comp tires grew to 42.5mm they "buzzed" constantly.  Also, the 5800 ft derailleur was the first component to fail me at the DK200 two days ago.  I stopped and cleaned it out twice, but I think it's just a crappy design that stops working when it detects a single molecule of mud within a ten mile radius.  I have no problem with the fit and comfort of the Haanjo frame, but I'm pitching the 105 junk, it isn't suitable for muddy conditions.

Quote 0 0
dsutton01
fatcharlie wrote:
mikeyro, I also have a 2016 Haanjo Trail and I had a terrible time finding the "sweet spot" with the 5800 ft derailleur, but it can be done.  The lever arm on the ft derailleur barely cleared 40mm tires; when my 40mm Nano Comp tires grew to 42.5mm they "buzzed" constantly.  Also, the 5800 ft derailleur was the first component to fail me at the DK200 two days ago.  I stopped and cleaned it out twice, but I think it's just a crappy design that stops working when it detects a single molecule of mud within a ten mile radius.  I have no problem with the fit and comfort of the Haanjo frame, but I'm pitching the 105 junk, it isn't suitable for muddy conditions.

The 2016 Trail ships with Ultegra 6800 - how does yours have 105 5800? 
Quote 0 0
fatcharlie
dsutton01 wrote:

The 2016 Trail ships with Ultegra 6800 - how does yours have 105 5800? 

My bad, I have the Haanjo that came with 105.  The 105 front derailleur failed me miserably at the DK 200, starting about 6-7 miles in, so I'm going to drop it and go the 1 X 11 route.  The frame and brakes are good enough for me and I feel an upgrade is in order, so I've ordered some parts to make the switch.  Wolf Tooth makes a hanger extender that should allow the 5800 rear derailleur to work with a 11/40 XT cassette.  If I'm not happy with the way that works I'll probably switch to Force X1.  I also ordered a long toothed Wolf Tooth 42 tooth chainring, and if I have any trouble keeping the chain on the chainwheel I'll add an outer bash guard and a dogtooth style chain catcher.  The Tomcat wheels held up fine at DK but I need something better for race day. I've ordered hubs, spokes and rims from bikehubstore.com, the new hoops will be lighter and tougher.  I'm going to be busy as soon as the brown truck shows up! 
Quote 0 0
Tuckerseverson
Looking for some sizing advice. I am 6', maybe 6'1", which puts me right between L and XL. Which size would you recommend? I have long arms and 33" inseam.
Quote 0 0
fal777
Will the HED Tomcat wheels spec'd on the Haanjo Comp work with tubeless tires?
About to pull the trigger on one
Quote 0 0
fatcharlie
Depends on the tires.  I have been able to mount (tubeless) WTB Nanos and Teravale Cannonballs, but try as I might, I couldn't get Kenda Happy Mediums or Vittoria Adventure Trails to work.  They just didn't want to "snap in".
Quote 0 0
velosport
fal777 wrote:
Will the HED Tomcat wheels spec'd on the Haanjo Comp work with tubeless tires? About to pull the trigger on one

I actually got the stock Happy Mediums to seat and hold for tubeless (though have to say they didn't hold air as well as MTB tires over the span of multiple days between rides).

Just mounted a set of Compass Bon Jon Pass tires today (standard casing) on these wheels and they are holding well. Needed to put a tube in first, to get one side to seat. And, we had to turn the compressor pressure setting up as well for that initial seating!
Quote 0 0
velosport
Just FYI, if people are interested in how the Haanjo Trail looks when built up with some modifications, here is my 2016 Haanjo Trail with those Compass Bon Jon Pass tires installed (tubeless, but these are standard casing, not ultralight), a silver zero setback post and white saddle.

IMG_1202.JPG
Quote 0 0
arks
Has anyone tried putting a fender on the haanjo trail. Looks to me that there is not enough clearance with the 40mm tires to put the fenders. Let me know if anyone was able to put it and the name of the fender brand
Quote 0 0
dangle
arks wrote:
Has anyone tried putting a fender on the haanjo trail. Looks to me that there is not enough clearance with the 40mm tires to put the fenders. Let me know if anyone was able to put it and the name of the fender brand

Which year? There aren't even mounts on both ends until the 2017's.
Quote 0 0
arks
haanjo trail 2017. There are mounts on both front and rear but I am not sure which fender will fit. As the tires are 40mm wide, I will need to go with fenders atleast 50-55 mm wide as 45mm wide fenders would not cover the whole tire.
Has anyone been able to put it on successfully.
Quote 0 0
dangle
It's pretty rare that a decent LBS doesn't carry fenders. This could be a good time to go in-person instead of save a couple bucks online. They aren't going to send you out the door with something that won't fit.
Quote 0 0
jennifer_hicks
The bike looks awesome. The Diamondback Haanjo Trail is an excellent rocks bike tricked out for performance.  I think you should take it.
Quote 0 0