Alex_C
Felt Broam wheelset. I taped the rim and inserted the valve stem. I noticed that the hole for the stem isn't centered. It is close to one side of the rim, this is causing a sealing issue. Has anyone ever encountered a situation similar to this? Is there a fix or is this wheelset doomed to tubes?
Quote 0 0
Angstrom
Is the seal on the valve stem flat or tapered? Looking at tubeless valve stems, there's a range of seal shapes.
Can you shave one side of the seal to improve the fit?
If you can get it close, the sealant should fill any small leaks.
Quote 0 0
cabopc
I've had issues with getting a good seal around the valve stem many times. And this was with wheelsets where the hole was centered. Some solutions that have worked for me are threadseal tape, a little square of old bicycle tube cut out and used inside the rim with the valve poked through it and just letting the sealant seal the leak. Also, if this is a new bike I would talk to your dealer because they might be able to get you a new wheel via the warranty. I have a Felt Breed and had numerous problems with the hub on the rear wheel so my LBD got me new parts to fix the problem. That being said, I eventually replaced the stockwheelset (made by Alexrims) because it was terrible. 
Quote 0 0
Alex_C
Here is the valve stem/rim both side. This shows how far off center the hole is. I put a tube in for now. I may talk to the LBS and see if they will swap out the rim.
IMG_20200730_215219910.jpg  IMG_20200730_215235057.jpg 
Quote 0 0
Alex_C
cabopc wrote:
I have a Felt Breed and had numerous problems with the hub on the rear wheel so my LBD got me new parts to fix the problem. That being said, I eventually replaced the stockwheelset (made by Alexrims) because it was terrible. 

My Blue Prosecco came with Alex rims and they haven't been a problem. They are not heavy and roll really well. They weren't tubeless ready, but Gorilla tape solved that issue. I wonder if the Broam has Alex rims. Those rims are HEAVY.
Quote 0 0
Alex_C
Angstrom wrote:
Is the seal on the valve stem flat or tapered? 
If you can get it close, the sealant should fill any small leaks.

I used a valve stem cut from an inner tube. It has a slight taper. The off-center stem hole creates a large gap, as shown in the image. Too large for sealant to handle. I'm going to contact the LBD and see if they will swap out the wheel.
Quote 0 0