ljsmith
Some pics from the C&O canal.  I rode the whole thing with my wife and 73 year old father in 3 days.  Because there was so much rain this year in the mid-atlantic the trail was a muddy mess with numerous detours.  The trail itself is about 184 miles, but with all the detours we did about 200.  The last picture is of mile marker 0.  If you ever do the C&O, it is very hard to find this as its not on the trail itself but its in its historical location.  It is well hidden behind the Thompson Boat center at the Water Front in Georgetown.

IMG_5118.jpg  IMG_5125.jpg  IMG_5142.jpg  IMG_5143.jpg  IMG_5146.jpg  IMG_5148.jpg  IMG_5198.jpg  IMG_5219.jpg  IMG_E5241.jpg 
Quote 0 0
LewisQC
Nice! I would really like to do this...
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
It's on my to do list in a couple of years when I retire but I also want to ride the Gap also from Pittsburgh to DC. Curious as to where you stayed at?

Congrats
Zman
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 0 0
ljsmith
Zurichman wrote:
It's on my to do list in a couple of years when I retire but I also want to ride the Gap also from Pittsburgh to DC. Curious as to where you stayed at?

Congrats
Zman

We stayed at Motel 6 in Hancock and Quality Inn in Harpers Ferry. Both are around a mile off the trail. Both are very biker friendly. They have a hose to wash off your bike and gave us towels to wipe our bikes down before bringing them in the hotel. My wife and are are planning to do the Gap and C&O next Fall.
Quote 0 0
GravelDoc
Hi Z-man!  I toured the C&O in October of 2015 and the GAP in October of 2016.  The first tour involved from 2-4 touring friends and the second 2 friends.  Both tours involved a combination of camping and B&B stays.  Both trails have campgrounds along the route.  Costs for camping ranged from free to low cost.  The B&Bs  were obviously more pricey but a soft bed, hot shower, and gourmet breakfast were well worth it.  There are several towns along the way of the C&O for food and lodging stops.  The towns along the GAP were fewer and farther apart but still enough to be helpful in our planning.  Weather was generally excellent, until the last day of each tour when we rode the last of our tour in the rain.  Hope this info. is helpful to you.  Doc.
Quote 1 0