lawnman
So narrowed my search down to the carbon trek checkpoint or a jamis renegade. Not looking for a gravel race bike. Just a fun efficient comfortable gravel dirt road back roads bike. Don't want some to slack like the salsa vaya etc. Some of the bike mag reviews describe the checkpoint as be aggressive like the trek boone. Any thoughts or experience with this. I want something I can ride 3 or 4 hours and 50 plus miles comfortably. Thx
Quote 0 0
owly
Check the stack and reach, along with the headtube angle and wheelbase, between the two bikes/sizes.

Taller frame/slacker HTA/longer wheelbase: generally more cruisy.
Quote 1 0
chas
I road the checkpoint and the Boone.   Not even close.  The Checkpoint can do a nice smooth slalom.  It doesn't dive into turns like a CX bike, nor does it handle lazily like a slack mountain bike.  I think that the moderate (not slack) head angle with the long wheelbase make it both responsive and stable.  I think it is a very nice ballance.  I don't imagine it being uncomfortable for 50+ mile rides if it fits you.  

Who said it was aggressive?  
Quote 0 0
lawnman
Some of the online bike reviews mentioned it keeping the aggressive stance of the boone. Glad to hear you feel the checkpoint is a little more laid back and comfortable
Quote 0 0
Marinerecon
lawnman wrote:
So narrowed my search down to the carbon trek checkpoint or a jamis renegade. Not looking for a gravel race bike. Just a fun efficient comfortable gravel dirt road back roads bike. Don't want some to slack like the salsa vaya etc. Some of the bike mag reviews describe the checkpoint as be aggressive like the trek boone. Any thoughts or experience with this. I want something I can ride 3 or 4 hours and 50 plus miles comfortably. Thx

Curious as to why the Salsa Cutthroat or Specialized Diverge did make the cut?
Quote 0 0