protohype
Hey there, I picked up a used Rocky Mountain Solo 50 bike that’s pretty beat up. Among the repairs needed, I discovered a cracked carbon fork...yay. So I’m looking for a very inexpensive replacement option, probably direct from China. Anyone have a recommendation? Requirements are tapered steerer, 395-400ish mm AC, and approx 45-50mm offset. Cage/rack mounts on the legs would be a bonus. Thanks!
Quote 0 0
nublar
Carbonda CFR606 fork is like $80 + shipping with rack/cage mounts
Quote 2 0
Mackdhagen
Try Hylix, I have a carbon fork from them and have used their bars, stems and seatpost's for years. Search on ebay and you'll see them come up. I am pretty sure they don't have fork mount boss's but a great fork and have never had anything fail (excepts some small seatpost bits but never the whole post). Also a not to the wise, pay attention to the crown-to-axle ratio. I've gotten ones that are too tall and it messes with the geometry of the bike and standover height
Quote 1 0
chas
Know why Norton blocks access to  http://www.carbonda.com   ??? 

@protohype  - FYI, I just had the same question, so I emailed Bikes direct, and they sent me one for $90 shipped.   Works great.  Have them measure and take pictures of the measurements for the key measurements, as I don't think they have that info.
Quote 1 0
protohype
Quote:
I emailed Bikes direct, and they sent me one for $90 shipped.   Works great.  Have them measure and take pictures of the measurements for the key measurements, as I don't think they have that info.

Cool, do you know if that was this the fork off of their Mulekick gravel bike? That’s a pretty good deal and probably way faster shipping than from China. Does it come painted like one of their frames or just plain black?
Quote 0 0
chas
protohype wrote:

Cool, do you know if that was this the fork off of their Mulekick gravel bike? That’s a pretty good deal and probably way faster shipping than from China. Does it come painted like one of their frames or just plain black?

If you have a bike fork you want, just ask for the fork from that bike. Well, that is what I did.  I needed canti (converting a road bike to gravel), so asked for a fork that would fit a fantom cross.

Its carbon, so its black, unpainted, with the dark weave visible through the clearcoat (in my case).  Again, they did not have the fork dimensions, so they took pictures of the fork with measuring tape measuring the key dimensions for me.  It wasn't an off the shelf thing on their website, so they just sent me the invoice, and shipped when I paid.  
Quote 0 0
protohype
Here’s an update: Bikes Direct do not have a fork with the specs I’m after.

I’ve emailed Carbonda three times since Aug. 25 and haven’t received a reply.

I emailed ICAN because they have the same frame/fork as the Carbonda 696, called the “X-Gravel”. I received a quick email reply with a quote for $85+40 EMS shipping to USA. I then replied that I’d like to purchase and subsequently they have completely ghosted me and won’t reply to any of my emails.

Does anyone else know of a vendor with 696-like bikes who might actually want my business? Thanks
Quote 0 0
chas
I miss the old Nashbar.  They used to be great with stuff like this. 
Now I don't know what to do...
Quote 0 0
Alex_C
protohype wrote:
I emailed ICAN because they have the same frame/fork as the Carbonda 696, called the “X-Gravel”. I received a quick email reply with a quote for $85+40 EMS shipping to USA. I then replied that I’d like to purchase and subsequently they have completely ghosted me and won’t reply to any of my emails.

Ican usually has good communication. I worked with Perry. He communicated with me well after the purchase and even asked for some pic's of my completed bike. His email is:  perry@icancycling.com
Quote 0 0
protohype
Alex_C wrote:
 I worked with Perry. He communicated with me well after the purchase and even asked for some pic's of my completed bike. His email is:  perry@icancycling.com

Thanks. Yeah, Perry is who initially emailed me but is no longer replying. Maybe he’s on vacation, lol.
Quote 0 0
Alex_C
Bummer.
Quote 0 0
NorthboundRick
Assuming you need Quick release, I am looking for the same fork. I am on the fence, Flyxii offers this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32789036204.html

..or my ongoing concerns over poor quality will make me purchase an MTB fork, like this one:
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_Bf7CWKti
Quote 0 0
protohype
Assuming you need Quick release

Actually, I’m after a thru-axle. Thanks for the links though. Those look like a good bargain.
Quote 0 0
NorthboundRick
I am spending a lot of time researching which manufacturer is creating a somewhat quality product and also try to find other cyclists reports of not having any issues. I wish there would be an easy answer for that..Anyways, good luck
Quote 0 0
NorthboundRick
No mounts, but have a look:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000143996235.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.7eff4ee6NQp8IR&algo_pvid=c839cba7-45b9-478d-91e1-4deaa4e90d0e&algo_expid=c839cba7-45b9-478d-91e1-4deaa4e90d0e-4&btsid=0ab50a5715991128436356781e80c8&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
Quote 0 0
Alex_C
Highly recommend a known named brand when dealing with aliexpress. 
Quote 0 0
Peruvian
Anyone have a link to a straight steerer, QR fork with mounts? 
Quote 0 0
NorthboundRick
Peruvian wrote:

https://www.fyxation.com/collections/forks/products/sparta-qr-all-road-carbon-fork
Quote 0 0
chas
Peruvian wrote:

Again, I called up BikeDirect, and got one for $90 (mine was canti).

I do miss the days when I could just look in the Nashbar catalog and get something like this quick and easy and inexpensive.  
Quote 0 0
protohype
Update: Perry at ICAN finally got back to me, and after about a week of me asking, he finally sent a PayPal invoice for the X-Gravel fork. Cost is $85+40 for EMS shipping, although he’s not yet sure they can currently use EMS for large packages, so who knows if I’ll get the fork anytime soon.

Wing at Carbonda also replied after an even longer wait but they wanted $85+90 shipping and an additional $15 for the axle (included for free from ICAN).

I went ahead and ordered from ICAN. I’ll update the thread when/if the fork arrives. Thanks for all the helpful replies.
Quote 1 0
NorthboundRick
protohype wrote:
Update: Perry at ICAN finally got back to me, and after about a week of me asking, he finally sent a PayPal invoice for the X-Gravel fork. Cost is $85+40 for EMS shipping, although he’s not yet sure they can currently use EMS for large packages, so who knows if I’ll get the fork anytime soon.

Wing at Carbonda also replied after an even longer wait but they wanted $85+90 shipping and an additional $15 for the axle (included for free from ICAN).

I checked with both and all they had were Thru Axles, keep in mind the ask is for QR
Quote 0 0
NorthboundRick
chas wrote:

Again, I called up BikeDirect, and got one for $90 (mine was canti).

I do miss the days when I could just look in the Nashbar catalog and get something like this quick and easy and inexpensive.  

Canti brakes are somewhat easy to find, the challenge is still out there: Tapered QR Carbon fork, disc breaks and adventure mounts where I also need an eyelet for a light mount. Not easy to find, the closed I could get was non tapered, bummer, I'll keep looking!
Quote 0 0
protohype

I checked with both and all they had were Thru Axles, keep in mind the ask is for QR

Actually, I’m the original poster of this thread and I was looking for thru-axle, although I forgot to mention it in my original post. Someone else commented here looking for QR.
Quote 0 0
NorthboundRick
protohype wrote:

Actually, I’m the original poster of this thread and I was looking for thru-axle, although I forgot to mention it in my original post. Someone else commented here looking for QR.

I see, I assumed you were looking for QRs, never mind then and good luck with the new fork!
Quote 1 0
Metaluna
protohype wrote:

Does anyone else know of a vendor with 696-like bikes who might actually want my business? Thanks

Workswell used to sell the WCB-R-146, which was pretty much the same frame/fork as the CFR696.   It looks like they've since upgraded to the WCB-R-208 w/ 209 fork, which sure looks the same to me.  Might be worth asking if they'll sell you just the fork.

https://www.workswellbikes.com/gravel/wcb-r-208(match%20with%20version%20A%20fork).html
Quote 1 0