OltreForza
I plan on ordering one of these frames sometime in the next two weeks. The question is which one. My build will be with Ultegra 2X hydro, carbon 650B wheels running on 47mm tires. I have four road bikes and don't plan on making this bike a dual use (as a road bike with 700c wheels) bike. Since both the 505 and 696 accept 47mm tires on 650B wheels, is there a reason to go with the 696 which accept larger tires with both 650B and 700C wheels?
Quote 0 0
s0ldats
if you decide you want to go with bigger MTB tires, you can only do so on the 696. 
Quote 0 0
welfkajsodif
The 696 has more clearance than the 505.  I own the 505 and the workswell equivalent of the 696
Quote 0 0
jojojojojojo
Hi Welfkajsodif,

wow, great to find someone who has experience with these two brands!
I also would like to build a gravel-race-good-for-everything bike and more or less narrowed it down to these two:

Carbonda CFR696
Workswell WCB-R-146

Also on the list were a Tideace FM-CX039 and some more Exploro-like frames on Aliexpress, but I was not able to find more info on these frames, nor reviews.
I also looked for an Open U.P.P.E.R like frame, but also here no real reviews.

So here is my questions Id like to ask:
which frame would you prefer in terms of build quality, but also service, shipping, ... the Workswell or Carbonda?
I would have to ask them to ship to Germany, but I hope this wont be a too big problem for the these companies.
Or are there other frames that you'd recommend coming close to either
3T Exploro
Open U.P.P.E.R. ?

Really looking forward to your opinion.
Thanks already in advance!
Best regards,

Johannes
Quote 0 0
Involuntarysoul
3T and Open are build from state of art factories in Taiwan with very high QC, little is known about the factories that build no name open molds like CFR696 
Quote 0 0
jojojojojojo
Indeed... But maybe there is a preference of Carbonda over Workswell or the other way around..
Quote 0 0
Involuntarysoul
granted gluing carbon fiber is not rocket science, but a good frame requires different types of carbon at different spots, you want to use high modulus carbon for BB area for stiffness but softer carbon on the head tube to absorb shock. If the bike is build with only one type of carbon like T700 of most open molds, then the frame would ride like trash. 
Quote 0 0
jojojojojojo
To quite some extend stiffness is influenced also by fiber direction and number of layers of course, so there is some possible influence on tailored stiffness throughout the frame.. but you are right, some lower modulus fibers with higher strain allowables along with high modulus fibers gives much more "optimization potential". Maybe they use the T700 just a buzz word and still use also other ones, given that there are cheaper fibers around:-)
And the fact, that most people here seem quite happy with the frames..
Quote 0 0
ljsmith

i got one of the first open mold mountain bike frames years ago.  I was very happy with it.  Of course I had never been on a name brand carbon frame.  Then I rode some real carbon frames and I realized how overly stiff that open mold frame was. Suddenly I was no longer happy with it and I got rid of it.
Quote 1 0
jojojojojojo
ljsmith wrote:

i got one of the first open mold mountain bike frames years ago.  I was very happy with it.  Of course I had never been on a name brand carbon frame.  Then I rode some real carbon frames and I realized how overly stiff that open mold frame was. Suddenly I was no longer happy with it and I got rid of it.

Oh, ok... So then its also a good idea to start with open mould:-)

Concerning geometry, Im not really sure if 505 or 696 is the more suitable choice. Despite not being sure about size, either 540 or 560...
To me the differences between 505 and 696 dont seem very large.. but maybe its the small differences that matter:
frame geometries.png 
Maybe someone has an opinion on the difference between 505 and 696, one of them being more suitable for race or gravel maybe..?
Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Johannes

Quote 0 0
Involuntarysoul
To quite some extend stiffness is influenced also by fiber direction and number of layers of course, so there is some possible influence on tailored stiffness throughout the frame.. but you are right, some lower modulus fibers with higher strain allowables along with high modulus fibers gives much more "optimization potential". Maybe they use the T700 just a buzz word and still use also other ones, given that there are cheaper fibers around:-)

all those procedures requires time which equals more money, when they are selling the frame for $500, unlikely the factory would care how the frame would ride. People who are buying it were mostly coming from low quality alu or steel frames so they can't really tell the difference. A good carbon frame is like wide tires, once you experienced the magic you cannot unexperience it.
Quote 0 0
Shawnriffhard
I would suggest that 99% of the population couldn't tell the difference in carbon lay up once the wide tires are on. I ride Compass Point 650b (Switchback Hills) on an alu frame, and the bike rides like a magic carpet. 

all those procedures requires time which equals more money, when they are selling the frame for $500, unlikely the factory would care how the frame would ride. People who are buying it were mostly coming from low quality alu or steel frames so they can't really tell the difference. A good carbon frame is like wide tires, once you experienced the magic you cannot unexperience it.
Quote 2 1
welfkajsodif
Hi Welfkajsodif,

wow, great to find someone who has experience with these two brands!
I also would like to build a gravel-race-good-for-everything bike and more or less narrowed it down to these two:

Carbonda CFR696
Workswell WCB-R-146

Also on the list were a Tideace FM-CX039 and some more Exploro-like frames on Aliexpress, but I was not able to find more info on these frames, nor reviews.
I also looked for an Open U.P.P.E.R like frame, but also here no real reviews.

So here is my questions Id like to ask:
which frame would you prefer in terms of build quality, but also service, shipping, ... the Workswell or Carbonda?
I would have to ask them to ship to Germany, but I hope this wont be a too big problem for the these companies.
Or are there other frames that you'd recommend coming close to either
3T Exploro
Open U.P.P.E.R. ?

Really looking forward to your opinion.
Thanks already in advance!
Best regards,

Johannes

Sorry for the late reply.  I'm way happier with Carbonda than Workswell for sure.  I wasn't too happy with the finish of my Workswell although the R-146 has way more tire clearance for 47mm 650b than my Carbonda.  Also, Carbonda seems to offer much better custom paint options.  They will paint literally anything you want. 
Quote 0 0
jojojojojojo
Thanks for your opinion, helps a lot! Much more in favour of Carbonda now.
Now: save some money..🙂
Quote 0 0
SeattleGravel

3T and Open are build from state of art factories in Taiwan with very high QC, little is known about the factories that build no name open molds like CFR696 

Actually Carbonda are a well established and well regarded company who have built frames for several companies including Fuji, Thesis, Merckx and Remot. 

Workswell and TideAce OTOH have less illustrious pedigrees and reputations. 

Quote 1 0
kuucheki
Anyone know the specs? Length and thread pitch on the thru axles for the 696? I'd like to buy some new axles and possibly a rear trainer axle tonight before heading home. Thanks in advance .
Quote 0 0
Vlanderen

Oh, ok... So then its also a good idea to start with open mould:-)

Concerning geometry, Im not really sure if 505 or 696 is the more suitable choice. Despite not being sure about size, either 540 or 560...

Maybe someone has an opinion on the difference between 505 and 696, one of them being more suitable for race or gravel maybe..?

, Just curious, as I had the same question, but did you go for either one of these, 505 or 696? I'm planning on some longer gravel rides/races 50-100 miles, but would like to dab into cyclocross as well. 
Quote 0 0
jojojojojojo
Hi Vlanderen,
I am just about to order actually! I will go for a 696 due to the even larger freedom in wheel choices (although the 505 looks more intersting in my opinion).
Still have to decide for a color, after taking about a month to decide for the size (will be 56).
Best regards,
Johannes

Quote 0 0
chadrandom
So how did it turn out? 
Quote 0 0