OltreForza
I'm thinking of upgrading to the Bontrager XXX 4 disk wheels for my Giant Revolt. The wheels have 21mm internal width, 47mm aero, and weight 1450 grams. Any disadvantage of using these "road wheels" on gravel?
Quote 0 0
ljsmith
There’s nothing wrong with using those for gravel.  Only cons are price and they will be less compliant due to the deep rim.
Quote 0 0
OltreForza

ljsmith wrote:
There’s nothing wrong with using those for gravel.  Only cons are price and they will be less compliant due to the deep rim.

Played it safe and cheap and ordered the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V instead. 
Quote 0 0
BubbaS
The Aeolus Pro 3V are a nice wheelset, I have had them for a couple of months. They are light and fun to ride and they bulge out your tires to a slightly bigger width: 35 mm G - 1 to 38 mm from about 35mm on a 21 mm internal width rim. Mine have been getting banged by rocks, bottomed out( ran too low tire pressure) etc and so far just scratches, same as you would get on a metal rim.

BS
Quote 0 0
JBarney
I went with the  XXX 2s as I am using them for both gravel and CX racing.  Love them, light and smooth ride.
I will most likely get a set of the XXX 4s for my road bike ( after I save up... 🙂  )
Quote 0 0
jfranci3
I don't think there's any advantage to using a deep section wheel either. You'd be fine with something like that if you're using it for road tires too. Otherwise, you'd likely be happier with something wider and cheaper that you can bash into more things (like a no-name carbon wheelset).
Quote 0 0
OltreForza
jfranci3 wrote:
I don't think there's any advantage to using a deep section wheel either. You'd be fine with something like that if you're using it for road tires too. Otherwise, you'd likely be happier with something wider and cheaper that you can bash into more things (like a no-name carbon wheelset).

I went with the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V's. They weight 1550 grams, with 25mm internal width, 36mm depth, and 108 point engagement ratchet hubs. I love the fast engagement, the aesthetics, and how planted they feel on fast descents. Awesome wheels!giant 2.jpg  3.jpg  
Quote 3 0
smoothmoose
Those look on paper and in picture like great wheels!  Are hubs OEM DT-Swiss?
Quote 0 0
durianrider
smoothmoose wrote:
Those look on paper and in picture like great wheels!  Are hubs OEM DT-Swiss?

Yep. DTSwiss also made in Taiwan now.
Quote 0 0
smoothmoose
durianrider wrote:

Yep. DTSwiss also made in Taiwan now.
.  I was wondering about this, because I thought DT-Swiss does not have 108 POE hub.  Based on this bikerumour article it would seem the hubs are no longer DT-Swiss??
https://bikerumor.com/2017/04/27/soc17-bontrager-line-pro-mtb-wheels-bring-new-108-point-engagement-hubs-carbon-rims/
Quote 0 0