Volsung Show full post »
chas
thumper88 wrote:
Im pretty disappointed. Basic issues: 1) he’s using 17.8mm rims. 2) he’s testing only 33-40mm tires and frankly seems more interested in the CX stuff he’s lumping together with gravel.

... but Conti need to build a tire  will at least measure out at a true 40 and preferable 42-43. It’s the fastest proper gravel tire in the test, though I wouldn’t use it on courses with serious sharp rock.

Realize that most of us here are US centric, and these tests are European.  33-40mm makes a LOT more sense in Europe – given the terrain and the CX popularity.   This isn’t a US based gravel test for US roads.  Keep that in mind.  His rim size is the European standard for testing.  

If you want variety, I can't tell much difference between the G-one Alround and the terraspeed in reality.  (well the G-one is amazing in cold, wet, and snowy conditions).  The biggest difference is the G-one is in a multitude of different sizes and tread patterns.  

FYI, if I need something bigger than my 40mm terraspeed, I'm on my 50mm Furious Fred - super supple, light, and fast tire though I wouldn’t use it on courses with serious sharp rock, lol).

Quote 1 0
thumper88
chas wrote:

Realize that most of us here are US centric, and these tests are European.  33-40mm makes a LOT more sense in Europe – given the terrain and the CX popularity.   This isn’t a US based gravel test for US roads.  Keep that in mind.  His rim size is the European standard for testing.  

If you want variety, I can't tell much difference between the G-one Alround and the terraspeed in reality.  (well the G-one is amazing in cold, wet, and snowy conditions).  The biggest difference is the G-one is in a multitude of different sizes and tread patterns.  

FYI, if I need something bigger than my 40mm terraspeed, I'm on my 50mm Furious Fred - super supple, light, and fast tire though I wouldn’t use it on courses with serious sharp rock, lol).

all good points... I use the old hyper  flimy “liteskin" version of the Thunder Burt for monster cross types of events where Im more worried about control and finishing alive than podium... have a pair of 650b ones and also a single 700c for the front for doing mullets, as rear will only go to 47mm in 700c.
G-one would at least in same size be my close second choice behind Conti for normal stuff. Kanza needs a sturdier tire than either of those, though.
Quote 0 0
Slim
Bontrager  has also realized the importance of impedance/vibration losses/ whatever you want to call them, and is testing rolling resistance on a treadmill, that they bolt tread on to.

I don't think they can replicate soft surfaces(sand), but it certainly allows them to measure rolling resistance at a system level, including the impedance losses in the bike and rider, due to surface roughness. not solely  the hysteresis of the tire itself.

Quote 0 0
dangle
Looks somewhat similar to what Zipp did - https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/campaigns/total-system-efficiency?fbclid=IwAR3vihMRgksPP2BJ7VnlI92JBRlRqsnFqEkr9UAcr3KIq6xsLc7iQAKZfHg.

I'm curious which came first.
Quote 0 0
rdavis32

I've listened to the Marginal Gains podcast with Tom Anhalt that derived this info is interviewed. I think I buy into his method moreso than how Bicycle Rolling Resistance site's does it. It's worth a listen if you don't mind a bit of geekery.

https://marginalgainspodcast.cc/tire-pressure-pioneer-tom-anhalt/

Quote 1 0
thumper88
and to underline some of the points made here about rollers, check out the crazy inaccurate numbers GCN came up with testing on rollers. some tires just don’t work on small rollers for sure.
Quote 1 1