Peruvian

I like the idea of a Wald basket instead of a dedicated handlebar roll for bikepacking mostly on dirt road routes (not tech single track).  Is anyone running a newer Wald (1372 or 1392) using the actual basket struts? 

I see that most attach the struts to the dropout bosses, but I wonder if shortening the struts to attach to the fork bottle cage bosses may be stronger and have less sway due to the shortened struts.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Quote 0 0
This sounds interesting. I happen to have a 1372 basket. I didn't actually mount it up, since I'd need to cut the struts way down, but I mocked it up. It looks pretty decent. The one thing is if the handlebar brackets pivot at all (they're vertical on my bike), and then the struts pivoted, it looks like the front of the basket might tilt down and get pretty close to the tire. It's a little hard to tell the range of motion without actually connecting everything up. 
Quote 0 0
Peruvian
This sounds interesting. I happen to have a 1372 basket. I didn't actually mount it up, since I'd need to cut the struts way down, but I mocked it up. It looks pretty decent. The one thing is if the handlebar brackets pivot at all (they're vertical on my bike), and then the struts pivoted, it looks like the front of the basket might tilt down and get pretty close to the tire. It's a little hard to tell the range of motion without actually connecting everything up. 

Please let me know if you do this and I'd love to see photos. 

My assumption is the shorter struts, that would get overlapped on the 1372 version, would be stronger than the struts going all the way to the drop out bosses.  The new handlebar brackets on the "2" version are much beefier than the old U shaped brackets as well so it would take a lot to get them to pivot around.
Quote 0 0
Peruvian
I came across this photo that is similar to what I'm considering.

[45471639345_e4e33f1c35_h]
Quote 0 0
epzamora
That basket above looks interesting. where did you find that photo?

It may not be elegant, but have you considered using a standard good quality chromoly  front rack or maybe something like a pizza rack, and simply zip-tie a Wald basket (minus Wald's struts) to the rack?

eric/fresno, ca.
Quote 0 0
Peruvian
epzamora wrote:
That basket above looks interesting. where did you find that photo?

It may not be elegant, but have you considered using a standard good quality chromoly  front rack or maybe something like a pizza rack, and simply zip-tie a Wald basket (minus Wald's struts) to the rack?

eric/fresno, ca.

I found the pic using a google image search.  I just tried to locate it again, but it's not showing up. 

I remember reading the basket was a Wald 137 that was modded to allow access due to the Jones Bars.

I'm trying to avoid a front rack (if possible) due to the added weight and cost.
Quote 0 0
Mackdhagen
I like the idea of baskets for commuting but for bike backing would add at least a pound onto the bike. I think the hipster bikepacking crowd is super into them. I could see if you had items that you wanted quick (bottles, camera, fishing pole) and if the tour is not on rugged dirt.
Quote 0 0