DerekJ_MI
This past weekend I went to the Founder's Fall Classic where the BR promoters released the updated route of the 2020 100 mile route.  I decided to ride it.  It takes me about 2.5 hours to drive to Hastings so I missed the mass start and I headed out around 11 am.  This route goes north and northwest of Hastings.for some 45 miles or so then connects up with the 62 mile route to finish.  I wanted to see what the first 45 miles was all about as I've ridden the 62 mile route before and it's good.  Well, the first 35 miles or so were a surprise.  The route was a mix of paved and fast gravel roads.  Nothing exceptionally difficult or technical and actually very fun ride.  I knew something was up.  At about mile 45 or so the route turns south onto Solomon Road.  The fun began. This 3/4 of a mile or so road was completely different.  Rutted, mud pits and sand that only a fat tire bike could maybe handle.  After that the route was a mix of fast gravel, paved roads with heavy traffic, and more gnarly two tracks with mud pits and sand.  Lots of sand!  Lots of hike-a-bike.  I'm not sure how this route will be if there is snow, frozen ruts or both.  In fact it would be dangerous.  There are some very technical steep descents into sand.  It would be easy to end up on your face!  This said, I liked a lot of the route but the 12 or so miles of the really crappy roads spoils it for me. Hiking my bike is a no go for me. I come to ride not walk.  I'll do the 62 mile event no problem but you got to be psycho to do this route.  Sections reminded me of the Michigan Coast to Coast route.  Have fun, go ride it before the spring.  At least ride the northern 45 miles or so. 
Quote 1 0
bcgravel
Good to hear some comments about the new route, I wasnt able to make it out there last weekend. I've done the 100 miler the last 2 years, both with 6 hr finish times. A long ride that early in the year is always challenging. I'd like to get out and try that new route sometime but the 3 hr drive out there is discouraging. And ive got some prime gravel in my area (Lapeer/North Oakland co.) I'm not going to be able to make it to Barry next year. I was really looking to add a 3rd mug to the collection. 
Quote 1 0
JBarney
Thanks for the head's up.  No " hike a bike" for me. 2 mangled ankles from a MX jump make walking not so fun.  The 62m route is just perfect for an early season race.
Quote 1 0
chas
bcgravel wrote:
Good to hear some comments about the new route, I wasnt able to make it out there last weekend. I've done the 100 miler the last 2 years, both with 6 hr finish times. A long ride that early in the year is always challenging. I'd like to get out and try that new route sometime but the 3 hr drive out there is discouraging. And ive got some prime gravel in my area (Lapeer/North Oakland co.) I'm not going to be able to make it to Barry next year. I was really looking to add a 3rd mug to the collection. 

Any recommended routes in your area?  Lots of good gravel around there.
Quote 0 0
DerekJ_MI

JBarney wrote:
Thanks for the head's up.  No " hike a bike" for me. 2 mangled ankles from a MX jump make walking not so fun.  The 62m route is just perfect for an early season race.
  Yes the 62 mile route is good and if the weather is good then they include Sauger Road which gives you a bit of the nasty crappy roads.  And, if the weather is bad then they reroute you around the crap and all is good.  No course change for the Psycho 100.  It goes no matter what the weather/road conditions are.  While most of the route is fine and fun those dozen or so miles make the route more of an adventure ride than a true gravel grinder.  

Quote 0 0