rangerjoe50
I am wanting to run bar end shifters on my gravel bike.  I am running a 1x10 xt drivetrain.  Anyone know of any options out there?  The goats over at Gevenalle have assured me I can find a  Gevenalle MTB 10 Speed Index/Friction Lever as a bar end in the
QBP catalog.  I assume this also means I should be able to
find a microshift  as well.
 I really like the Gevenalle's but always like to look at my options.
Thanks for having me here,
Joe
Quote 0 0
Noah_Deuce
I ran Silver friction shifters on a 1x10 at Dirty Kanza - worked great.
If you want indexed shifting, you might need to run Gevenalles, although Microshift might have something that would work for you. XT is weird, since Shimano mtn and road dérailleurs/shifters aren't cross compatible.
Quote 0 0
rangerjoe50
Wondering which 10spd cassette you ran? The silvers started looking nice till they mentioned they kinda work on shimano mtb 10 spd cassette. Sounds like the spacing is to close for even a friction shifter.
Quote 0 0
quinnk
I just finished a build and initially ran xt shadowplus rear with Gevenalle gx shifters.  The shifters work great and the brake levers alone are awesome.  They have really made the feel of the levers for my avid bb7 road brakes feel wonderful.   But... i could not get used to the shifter out in front, as i have 2 other bikes with bar end shifting.  Another consideration was that my new bike (Singular Gryphon) is going to fill 2 roles - gravel and trail, i could not see me reaching out to shift at the end of the brake hood on singletrack.  I know that these shifter/levers are not meant for true mountain bike set ups so there is that.  My solution was to use microshift 10 speed bar end shifters and an xt 9 speed rear derail. with 10 speed pulleys (found the xt on ebay for $20).  It shifts wonderfully with the xt 10 speed cassette.  The microshift bar ends will not work with a shadow or shadowplus derail.  so the older xt is needed for the cable pull to match.  I have the gx shifters for sale if you want to go that route, just let me know.  I hope the info helps.
Quote 0 0
rangerjoe50
Which Microshift are you referring to as the BS-m10 is the base shifter for the GX and should be XT 10 speed compatible. Trouble is they are sold out every direction I look. I am in the same boat you described in I want this rig to run gravel and serve some trail time. Gevenalle does not show the shifter minus the levers available right now either. I was willing to blindly buy them and try to find or modify a bar end pod to match. I was so close to buying SRAM. Oh well here I am. My local mechanic said the same as you mentioned as well go 9 speed rd. I may should be able to sale the xt 10 speed and cover the cost of a non clutch rd. Its just so hard when you are one part away from finishing a build to back up and punt. Thanks for information on how you navigated this road.
Quote 0 0
quinnk
I tried to use the shifter pods from the GX units on the mount for the microshift 10 speed shifters (not sure of the model number, but i think there is only 1 -10 speed bar end shifter, mine has red accents and i have seen red and black) which i bought originally before knowing they would not work with the xt rear mech. but they did not fit.  I think that they modified the shifter a little to work with the mount on the levers.  Like i said, i looked at ebay and found a long cage xt in a 9 speed setup, also look for a 9 speed slx long cage.  I have one on another bike and it shift awesome.  I feel your pain and it is a shame that all of a sudden Shimano has changed their cable pull so we now have to jump through hoops to make our Frankenbikes work!  I love how the Gryphon looks and rides and can't wait to hit the trails with it.  Now if only the snow and ice would melt.
Quote 0 0
Noah_Deuce
rangerjoe50 wrote:
Wondering which 10spd cassette you ran? The silvers started looking nice till they mentioned they kinda work on shimano mtb 10 spd cassette. Sounds like the spacing is to close for even a friction shifter.

I ran a SRAM 1070 cassette, if I recall correctly.  But I've also used them since then with Shimano 10sp XT cassettes.  

I didn't find the spacing to be difficult to deal with - I could hit the cog I wanted without any trouble.  And it's easy to trim back if necessary.
Quote 0 0