GhostRider
I want to replace the stock saddle that came with my Trek Checkpoint.  Wanted  to see if anyone is riding with a Brooks or Selle Anatomica  or any other leather saddle on their gravel bike. If so, which model and do you like it?

Thanks.
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
I have the Brooks Waterford on all my bikes and love it because of the cut out. DSCN0538.jpg 
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 0 0
greasyregs
I've riding a B17 for years on my Cannondale T1000 and am very satisfied.  Prior to that I was trying all kinds of saddles to reduce the butt pain and none of them worked - then I got the Brooks and my bike riding experience totally changed.  Much of my time is spent on greenbelt paths with an occasional gravel surface.  The break in time was roughly a few months. Brooks is the best for about any type of riding other than competition. 

But...I just purchased the Brooks Cambium C17 and may put it on my Cannondale or on my very old Trek 6700.
Quote 0 0
Cmtgravel
PathLessPedaled on youtube has a good video about alternatives to the Brooks. Affordable options too. 
Quote 0 0
GhostRider
greasyregs wrote:
I've riding a B17 for years on my Cannondale T1000 and am very satisfied.  Prior to that I was trying all kinds of saddles to reduce the butt pain and none of them worked - then I got the Brooks and my bike riding experience totally changed.  Much of my time is spent on greenbelt paths with an occasional gravel surface.  The break in time was roughly a few months. Brooks is the best for about any type of riding other than competition. 

But...I just purchased the Brooks Cambrium C17 and may put it on my Cannondale or on my very old Trek 6700.  

greasyregs: I am interested to hear what you think about the Cambrium versus the B17 in comfort.
Quote 0 0
greasyregs
GhostRider wrote:

greasyregs: I am interested to hear what you think about the Cambrium versus the B17 in comfort.

Will put in on the Cannondale first to see how it feels.  BTW - I picked up the Cambium on Amazon Warehouse for $75 - some cosmetic damage which hopefully is not much.
Quote 0 0
Curtis
I rode on a Brooks B-17 for several years. I am now riding in worse weather all year long and switched to the vegan version. Love Brooks.
Quote 0 0
chas
GhostRider wrote:

I hate it.  Its a friggen nightmare.  You want it?  I love my B15, but my Cambium carbon equivalent just doesn't conform the same way.   Not sure of all cambiums are this bad, but my seat is hard and stiff.
Quote 0 0
greasyregs
chas wrote:

I hate it.  Its a friggen nightmare.  You want it?  I love my B15, but my Cambium carbon equivalent just doesn't conform the same way.   Not sure of all cambiums are this bad, but my seat is hard and stiff.

Chas - Your Cambium is a C15 not a C17?  There is a bit of difference in the two I understand.  
Quote 0 0
GhostRider
Well, I took a chance today and ordered the Selle Anatomic X2. Hopefully this will be a comfortable saddle. The stock saddle on my Trek Checkpoint is making riding very difficult. I did have it adjusted properly at two different bike shops, still is a painful saddle to put up with.
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
The only problem I have with my Brooks Waterford saddles is that the leather stretches out some and you have to be somewhat diligent on tightening the nut on the saddle. 

Zman DSCN1094.jpg  DSCN1095.jpg 
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 0 0
epzamora
I bought a Brooks Cambium C15 All Weather Carved saddle.  I bought it because I borrowed my buddy's, which was several years old and felt great for the week or two i tested it. Mine flexed as designed but was still hard, much harder than my buddy's. I imagine time would have loosened it up a bit. Then it started creaking (i've read online solutions on how to fix that).

Then I came across a great deal on a new Fabric Line Elite Shallow saddle. Fabric was on my radar before I bought the Brooks Cambium. I took the chance, and have loved it since day one. Very comfortable. and for what I paid, 1/3 the price of the Brooks. Not sure what I'll do with the Brooks, maybe throw it on my '83 Bianchi which is rarely ridden anyway.

eric/fresno, ca.
Quote 0 0
greasyregs
I've now put on about 50 miles with the Brooks Cambium C17 saddle mounted on my Cannondale T1000 road bike - actually a touring bike.  So far I am very happy with it. I had to make some adjustments (tweaking angle and front/back) after the first few miles but once I did that it clearly made for comfort with very little break in.  So at this point I'll have to decide to continue to use the the C17 on my road bike or put it on my Trek mountain bike and go back to the B17 for the Cannondale. The B17 is definitely more comfortable but it ought to be after over 10 years of use. 

As I mentioned earlier, I bought this through Amazon who advertised it as "used" with "minor cosmetic damages" for $75. A new one is around $130.  It turned out to be new in the original Brooks packaging with no "cosmetic" damage at all. Unfortunately Brooks did not honor the 10 year warranty since Amazon labeled it "used" - grrrr.   
Quote 0 0
GhostRider
I have put in a few rides on my new Selle Anatomic X2. After a few adjustments ( proper fitting) I have easily decided this will be a much better saddle than the saddle that came with my Checkpoint. Although not broken in, It felt much better and I never felt the need for relief. A big difference!
Quote 0 0
Shaun McNally
How is your SA saddle doing after a few month of use now? I also got a Checkpoint and yes the stock saddle did suck.(seems like a common theme with the bike) I just ordered an SA H-2 saddle for it, after talking to a guy in my gravel group at a ride.
Quote 0 0
nellborg
You might also look at the Gilles Berthoud leather saddles.  Thicker leather, and rebuildable if needed.  The one I have (the Aspin) is much higher quality and more comfortable for me than the Brooks B17's and Brooks Professional that I have.
Quote 1 0
GhostRider
How is your SA saddle doing after a few month of use now? I also got a Checkpoint and yes the stock saddle did suck.(seems like a common theme with the bike) I just ordered an SA H-2 saddle for it, after talking to a guy in my gravel group at a ride.

Saddle is great. Very please with it.
Quote 0 0
valve_timing
i ride a brooks b17 i love it  500-600 miles on it so far just getting broken in very pleased with my purchase ! i wanna try the c17 cambium  for my carbonda build.
Quote 0 0
chas
i ride a brooks b17 i love it  500-600 miles on it so far just getting broken in very pleased with my purchase ! i wanna try the c17 cambium  for my carbonda build.

I have a carbon Camium.  I don't like it.  maybe the c17 is a little more comfortable, I dunno.  My B15 is my most comfortable saddle, my C15 my least.
Quote 0 0
Kwontumspeed
The Carved Cambium Brooks versus the non is a night and day difference. I don't understand how anyone can ride one that is not carved.
Quote 2 0
Volsung

All of my cambiums are carved.  I can't tell much of a difference between my c17s and my carved carbon 158.  The 158 is 4mm narrower for some reason.

The all weather version doesn't seem to flex as much as the original.

Quote 0 0
Nubster
Been thinking about trying a Brooks. Especially since I can get up to 65% off retail through a discount program I am part of through my job. 
Quote 0 0
PizzaMinion
I've been riding Koobi saddles for years on both my road bike, mountain bike and now the gravel bike.
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
Nubster wrote:
Been thinking about trying a Brooks. Especially since I can get up to 65% off retail through a discount program I am part of through my job. 

Wow 65% off a $135 saddle think that is what my Waterford cost is a real deal.

Zman
Quote 0 0
greasyregs
Seems like this topic has been closed. Earlier I had posted my thoughts on the Brooks saddles. Have had lots of miles on a Brooks B-17. But since then I've put Brooks Cambium C-17's on both my gravel and road bike (waterproof on the gravel bike). Been riding on them for several months, and I am very satisfied with these saddles.
Quote 0 0