big_shmoop Show full post »
chas
Exactly!

Every review I read of a cambium seems to mention how the leather saddles need time to break in to get really comfortable - and occasionally that they are not comfortable new.

BS.

I have a B17 and B15, and was shocked how comfortable they were right out of the box.  I wonder if the reviewers have ever owned    a leather brooks.  They are really great out of the box.  I'm sure they feel "better" now (years later) now that they clearly have bone divots from my pelvis, but its not a night and day change.

The C13 came in - I need some warm weather to see how it really does.  I kind of think the C17/15 looks a little better though.  ;-)

Quote 1 0
Smithhammer
big_shmoop wrote:


Thanks, yeah I'm really enjoying it. I took it out yesterday on a lot mixed terrain and it's exactly what I was hoping for in the new bike. The combination of the D-fuse carbon seat post, composite fork, a big tires means things just get gobbled up. 


Glad you're enjoying the new whip. 

I've had a C17 I've moved around on various bike for the last year+ and really like it. I've also owned a couple B17s, but I do a fair bit of riding in less than ideal weather, and the weatherproofness of the Cambium saddles is a big, hassle-free plus for me. 

I put a C15 on my Straggler a few days ago, and so far have about 50 miles on it, wearing just shorts with no chamois, and it feels just as comfortable as my C17. A little narrower, but I'm a fairly skinny dude so I think I can get away with using either interchangeably. 
Unlearn pavement.
Quote 0 0
gemper
Since you are mentioning saddles.  I have a Selle Italia Max SLR leather/gel saddle which I love.  However, I find that for saddles it is like trying to say which pair of shoes are better.  Everyone takes a different size and different comfort preference.

"Old Age and Treachery Beats Youth and Skill"
Quote 0 0
frontrangegravel
Looking good big_shmoop. Glad you're enjoying it.
Quote 0 0
big_shmoop
chas wrote:
Exactly!

Every review I read of a cambium seems to mention how the leather saddles need time to break in to get really comfortable - and occasionally that they are not comfortable new.

BS.

I have a B17 and B15, and was shocked how comfortable they were right out of the box.  I wonder if the reviewers have ever owned    a leather brooks.  They are really great out of the box.  I'm sure they feel "better" now (years later) now that they clearly have bone divots from my pelvis, but its not a night and day change.

The C13 came in - I need some warm weather to see how it really does.  I kind of think the C17/15 looks a little better though.  ;-)



I dunno...those C13's just look fast. Haha. Aren't the 15's and 13's the same except for the carbon rails?
Giant ToughRoad SLR 1 (drop bar)
Giant Trance 27.5
Giant Defy Composite
Quote 0 0
big_shmoop
Smithhammer wrote:


Glad you're enjoying the new whip. 

I've had a C17 I've moved around on various bike for the last year+ and really like it. I've also owned a couple B17s, but I do a fair bit of riding in less than ideal weather, and the weatherproofness of the Cambium saddles is a big, hassle-free plus for me. 

I put a C15 on my Straggler a few days ago, and so far have about 50 miles on it, wearing just shorts with no chamois, and it feels just as comfortable as my C17. A little narrower, but I'm a fairly skinny dude so I think I can get away with using either interchangeably. 


Weather was on my concerns as well since I plan to ride in almost everything. Being in the Chicagoland area means the weather can completely change in the matter of hours. I'm probably gonna move the C17 to my Defy as it's too nice a saddle to sit in my parts bin. 
Giant ToughRoad SLR 1 (drop bar)
Giant Trance 27.5
Giant Defy Composite
Quote 0 0
big_shmoop

gemper wrote:
Since you are mentioning saddles.  I have a Selle Italia Max SLR leather/gel saddle which I love.  However, I find that for saddles it is like trying to say which pair of shoes are better.  Everyone takes a different size and different comfort preference.



Amen. Once mans trash...well, you know. 

Giant ToughRoad SLR 1 (drop bar)
Giant Trance 27.5
Giant Defy Composite
Quote 0 0
big_shmoop

frontrangegravel wrote:
Looking good big_shmoop. Glad you're enjoying it.


Thanks. 

 

Definitely not where I thought I'd land when I started looking, but that's part of the fun. Can't wait to load it up and take it out bikepacking to really test it. The commute to work and grocery shopping will be a breeze.

Giant ToughRoad SLR 1 (drop bar)
Giant Trance 27.5
Giant Defy Composite
Quote 0 0
chas
big_shmoop wrote:


I dunno...those C13's just look fast. Haha. Aren't the 15's and 13's the same except for the carbon rails?


Yes, but there are 3 sizes for the C13

roughly:
Narrow - 132mm
Middle - 145mm - matches the B15/C15
Large - 158mm - matches the B17/C17
Quote 0 0
chas
big_shmoop wrote:
. I'm probably gonna move the C17 to my Defy as it's too nice a saddle to sit in my parts bin. 


Or we could put it in my parts bin.  LOL
Quote 0 0
big_shmoop
chas wrote:


Yes, but there are 3 sizes for the C13

roughly:
Narrow - 132mm
Middle - 145mm - matches the B15/C15
Large - 158mm - matches the B17/C17


Ahhh...thanks for the clarification. 

I have been using 143mm Specialized Phenom Comp saddles on both my Defy and TCX and they felt good. But after making the switch (even though it's been short term) to something wider, I don't think my backside will let me go back. Time will tell as I have some longer rides coming up in the near future. 

chas wrote:

Or we could put it in my parts bin.  LOL


[tongue]
Giant ToughRoad SLR 1 (drop bar)
Giant Trance 27.5
Giant Defy Composite
Quote 0 0