Lbc
Last night I put a set of the 260tpi challenge Almonzo clincher tires on to get a feel for them to see if I'd want to run them at gravel worlds next weekend. These are brand new in the package btw. They are coming apart where the tread meets the sidewall. Like peeling apart in multiple places after 35 mi of gravel. I emailed challenge waiting for reply. I was impressed by the tires until I noticed the peeling.

Anybody else have this problem? Did they fix it?
Quote 0 0
shiggy
They are hand made, unvulcanized, open tubulars. I had a bit of tread come loose on another model. Glued it back down with tire patch "vulcaniizing fluid" (cement). No further issues.
Quote 0 0
tb123
I've got a set of Challenge Chicanes and Baby Limus both in open tubular, no problems with either of them. Great tyres too.

I have seen mention around the net while researching tyres that some have had similar issues to what you describe.
Quote 0 0
Lbc
Thanks. I too thought about tire patch glue but this is in multiple places with more starting to peel. I could prob peel up most of the tread layer if I tried. Would you do that or just fix as the problem develops.?
Quote 0 0
Lbc
Holy hell pmc that is sketchy!!! Wow. Have yet to mess w it and challenge never got back to me..I did however order some panaracer gravel king 32 semi slicks to try. Pretty excited about these for race day treads. Will provide feedback on the panaracers in a new thread
Quote 0 0
lennymatuszewski
I had a set of Paris-Roubaix's do that but I figured it was from mounting them almost constantly (switching between them and gravel tires a lot). It didn't get to the point where I thought I needed to glue them but I found myself checking them constantly to make sure the peeling hadn't increased!
Quote 0 0
lennymatuszewski
I should also note that these were on 23mm Stan's Grail rims which are way out of spec for 27mm Paris-Roubaix's so I didn't even bother contacting Challenge about it
Quote 0 0