rocthrower
To make a long story short, I was hit by a car in February, unable to ride for a couple months, and my GT Grade was ruined.  I was originally planning on getting an RLT 9 Steel later this year, but due to unforeseen expenses, I am now looking at building up something like a Macho Man Disc from salvaged bike parts while I recover.  Anyone have any experience with this bike (or similar All City bikes) in regards to sizing?  I seem to be on the short end for 56's and tall end for 54s, and the MMD in a 52 has a 550 mm top tube which sounds perfect.  My Grade was a 56, and I think I would have been more comfortable overall on 55, so that's why I'm leaning towards the 52 vs the 55 MMD, which has a ETT of 565.  I'm most likely going to have to order through a QBP dealer, as I can't find any on the shop floors.  I'm about 5' 9.5 and just under a 32 cycling inseam.  Thanks!

http://allcitycycles.com/bikes/macho_man_disc
Quote 0 0
shoaf
The sizing on the Macho Man (both the disc- and rim brake versions) does seem big compared to other brands. I'm 5'8", and I'm on a 49 MMD (the earlier orange/white model, but I think the new version is only different in the paint job).

This is the only drop-bar bike I've ever owned, but when I was shopping for this bike, I was liking the sizing of most other brands' 54 size, and even felt decent on a 55 Warbird (though I think I'd have gone with a 53 if I'd have decided on the Warbird). The stack/reach on the 49 MMD does seem more in line with what other brands call a 53 or 54.

I do have a little toe overlap, but if I got a longer frame, I'd probably run a shorter stem, but it doesn't bother me enough to try to change anything.

So, based on all that, you're probably headed in the right direction.

I did swap out the stock bars (Cowbell @ 40cm) for a 44cm version, which was way better for my tastes, but I'm more of a MTBer  than a roadie.
Quote 0 0
rocthrower
Thanks for the helpful reply, Shoaf.  On Friday, I stopped by a shop to have them order and replace a rim, and they happened to have a 55 in stock.  I only stood over it, but it felt a little tall, and the guy at the shop said it was too big and he would put me on a 52. I really like the orange/white paint job too, and as luck would have it, I was able to find a 52 frameset in that color.  I get it Wednesday and will slowly start building it up with salvaged parts.

How do you like yours?  I know they are tanks, but at this point I want a comfortable all-arounder that is good on gravel, occasional single track, and functions as my commuter.  This seemed like it fit the bill, and I wanted a disc bike so I could use as many parts from my old bike as possible.
Quote 0 0
shoaf
As I mentioned, this is the only drop-bar bike I've ever owned, so I don't have a lot of basis for comparison. 

That said, I use it very similar to what you've mentioned, and I do really like it a lot. Yeah, it's nearly as heavy as my aluminum hardtail 29er MTB, but it does ride pretty nice. It really doesn't feel that heavy when riding (other than that one time I tried to race it in a CX race!).

I've used it on a multi-day supported tour, for gravel rides races, rural commuting (lots of half-patched, old chip-seal), just goofing off around town, and quick workouts on the road. There are about 3300 miles on the odometer so far.

I wish there was just a tad more tire clearance (says the guy coming from MTB-ing), but I'm running Panaracer Gravel King SK 40s now, and they measure over 43mm. They don't leave much (any) room for mud, but the mud here is just not worth trying to ride through on any bike.

The finish seems to be holding up really well on it, if that matters. 

Hope you enjoy yours once you get it built up!
Quote 0 0