Bubba
Has anyone done and completed this race/ride in Spring Valley, MN?  I plan on riding it in 2017 and want to pick your brain.

Thanks,
Bubba 
Quote 0 0
Peacecycle
Hey Bubba,
What kind of questions do you have about the Alexander 380?
Quote 0 0
Bubba
If you have done it, what did you do for training?  Is it possible to ride unsupported and if so what to bring with?  Are there places along the route to stop (C-stores) for nutrition and hydration?  Rest - find a ditch?  Rain gear?  I have done some solo 200 milers but nothing at this distance.  What can I expect?
Quote 0 0
Peacecycle
Yes I've ridden it twice and will be riding it again this year. For training I ride a lot, mostly on a loaded bike. get comfortable riding at night if you plan to push through the night and test your gear prior. The event is self supported outside support is not allowed, so yes there are restaurants and convenient stores to resupply at. You can bivy almost anywhere or there are hotels in prairie. Rain gear and other gear, id take it if you can't finish without it, what to expect- it is an amazing route that will Challenge you at times, especially along the river. Plan a few 2-3 days over night trips where you could get in 100-150 miles each day loaded.
Quote 0 0
Bubba
Please bear with all my questions, I don't want to get caught unprepared..........when you say "loaded" please define.  For me, if I am doing over 100 and especially on gravel I only bring 2-4 tubes, patches, quik-fills, multi-tool, some water and nutrition.  Do you have panniers with gear and in the two times you have ridden it what extra did you bring along?

Thanks again!
Bubba
Quote 0 0
Peacecycle
Don't feel bad about asking questions. I ride the same set up I used for tour divide this year-so frame bag seat bag, handle bar bag. Then I'll ride 50-300 miles depending on the day of the week. Some days it a hill workout others it long miles. This year I rode it straight through and I plan on doing the same this year but I brought a sleep system just in case I need to crash in the woods. Also rain gear, down jacket, food and water, repair kit.
Quote 0 0
Bubba
Thanks for the all the info.  I try to ride as much as possible during the winter but the cold does get to me.  I was hit by a pickup 18 months ago on a training ride and ever since then for some reason I get cold quick.  Once it gets warmer I get in about 2000 miles per month.  I plan on doing this and look forward to the challenge. 
Quote 0 0
mrtwinpipe
There are what I calll 3 major stop 127 Lansing ,200 Prairie Du chief, 280 Decorah
There a several small town between spring valley and Lansing ,one between Lansing and PDC at about mile 160.
What ever you do do not leave Prairie Du Chien which out supply's, right across the river there are stops but after that there is nothing for 80 miles to decorah and you'll be in the dark so stopping at farms is probably not a good idea ,same goes for Decorah there is nothing between there and the finish 100 miles.
You want 34 -27 minimum ,its what I used and I groaned a few times a 30 or 32 on the back should be better.
It's all rideable ,imperial ave at about 215 runs you down a gnarly farm track if it wet you may have to get off and the creek crossing when you get back on the almanzo course are the only 2 you may have to get off on .
I'd bring a quick link ,a small chainlube ,3-tubes .a pump and co2 and of course the Allen wrenchs to fit "all" the fasteners on your bike,a derailleur hanger isn't a bad idea either.
Just watch the weather if it looks dry you can travel light ,you better pack warm if it looks like rain ,wet and cold in the middle. Of nowhere is not pleasant.
I used a rack with a bag as I could change bottles and grab food without stopping .
Quote 0 0