Scandinavian_dirt

I got myself a Kona Rove NRB late last year, and I could hardly be more pleased with the bike. It runs like a clock, it’s sturdy and so fun to ride on the gravel roads. The only (small) thing I would like to improve is the grip on the road. Especially in the curves and on the most sketchy parts of the roads. I ride on 100% gravel (apart from a few hundred meters on tarmac to get me there) and I stay off the most muddy roads and stay inside on the really rainy days... The roads I mostly ride on are fairly nice gravel roads, not all that bad. I now use the 650B, 47 mm WTB Horizon delivered with the bike. They feel fast and almost impossible to wear out. But they are more or less slicks.

I don’t want to lose the fast feeling and I don’t think i need tonnes of traction, so I’m thinking about the WTB Byways or the new WTB Venture. Maybe the Byways will be sufficient for my conditions? Does anybody have an advice what to choose?

Quote 0 0
chas
You won't like my advice...

But I like slicks.  If you are not off road in wet conditions, they work great.  I even use the mountain biking (they force a steady cadence on steep climbs).   The one advantage is that slicks let go fast, where knobbies slide and drift better.   Tires with slick centers and side knobs can work in those conditions.

If its wet and off road - things change...
Quote 0 0
Schadenfreude
Donnelly MSO 650b in either 42mm or 50mm.
Quite a heavy tire, but excellent puncture resistance and strong side walls. They roll well on tarmac and have good knobbly edges for grip on gravel bends.
A jack of all trades.
I've use the 42s tubeless, and never have had a puncture I've had to patch or plug.
Quote 0 0
Scandinavian_dirt
Thank guys! Now I’m on a slightly different track. Thinking of complementing my 650B’s with some 700c wheels with a more narrow (and faster tire). Maybe the 38c Pannaracer Gravel King’s. I love my 650B’s but an alternative once in a while can’t be bad. Right?
Quote 0 0