bobknh
I'm new to the world of low pressure tubeless tires. Having mounted my first set of 40 mm tubeless Ramblers, which I would like to run sub- 40 psi, I'm looking for a reliable gauge which will allow me to accurately adjust my tire pressure. While my Lezyne floor pump is a sturdy and reliable unit, the gauge on the pump is defective and reads about 10-15 PSI over the actual pressure. While this approximation is OK for high pressure road tires, it sucks for pressures in the 30-40 PSI range. I'm looking for a meter or device, which will allow me to simultaneously release pressure down to about 35 psi, and then be removed from the presta valve without any further loss of pressure. The screw on head of my Lezyne does allow removal of the pump head without loss of tire pressure; but the gauge isn't reliable. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Quote 0 0
drwelby
The Meiser 60psi presta gauge is exactly what you want. Probably the best $14 I've ever spent on my bike.
Quote 0 0
bobknh
drwelby wrote:
The Meiser 60psi presta gauge is exactly what you want. Probably the best $14 I've ever spent on my bike.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll order one. 
Quote 0 0
WFRTony
I have had good luck with the digital SKS gauge.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_561001_-1___
Quote 0 0
bobknh
WFRTony wrote:
I have had good luck with the digital SKS gauge.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_561001_-1___
Thanks. I have a similar digital gauge from Topeak. My complaint with the Topeak is that it uses a so called "smart head" that fits both presta and schrader. The problem is that when you use this head on presta valves, it releases a lot of pressure before engaging. I do however, like the fact that the head rotates and makes reading very easy (important for my sore back). Does the head of the SKS also rotate for easy reading by old dudes with bad backs? BTW, I have similar issues with the mechanical gauges suggested earlier. Another solution I'm trying is a digital gauge for my compressor made sold by Prestaflator. It's supposed to be accurate to .5 psi. Of course, that means using my compressor instead of a floor pump.
Quote 0 0
shiggy
My favorite is the Schwalbe Airmax Pro ( http://www.schwalbetires.com/accessories/helpful_tools/airmax_pro ).

It does not really matter if the gauge is accurate. It just needs to be consistent and reliable, then you use only that gauge to check your pressures.
Quote 0 0
WFRTony
bobknh wrote:

Thanks. I have a similar digital gauge from Topeak. My complaint with the Topeak is that it uses a so called "smart head" that fits both presta and schrader. The problem is that when you use this head on presta valves, it releases a lot of pressure before engaging. I do however, like the fact that the head rotates and makes reading very easy (important for my sore back). Does the head of the SKS also rotate for easy reading by old dudes with bad backs? BTW, I have similar issues with the mechanical gauges suggested earlier. Another solution I'm trying is a digital gauge for my compressor made sold by Prestaflator. It's supposed to be accurate to .5 psi. Of course, that means using my compressor instead of a floor pump.

Two sided head is presta on one side and schrader on the other. The head rotates, but it also holds it's reading when you remove it from the valve so it is easy to read. Reads to .1 psi and bar. I have noticed that the gauge on my Lezyne floor pump reads about 5 psi higher than the SKS, but the pump is measuring the pressure in the hose while it is connected, and the SKS is reading the pressure in the tire. Like shiggy said, "It does not really matter if the gauge is accurate. It just needs to be consistent and reliable, then you use only that gauge to check your pressures."
Quote 0 0
bobknh
WFRTony wrote:

Two sided head is presta on one side and schrader on the other. The head rotates, but it also holds it's reading when you remove it from the valve so it is easy to read. Reads to .1 psi and bar. I have noticed that the gauge on my Lezyne floor pump reads about 5 psi higher than the SKS, but the pump is measuring the pressure in the hose while it is connected, and the SKS is reading the pressure in the tire. Like shiggy said, "It does not really matter if the gauge is accurate. It just needs to be consistent and reliable, then you use only that gauge to check your pressures."

Thanks for the additional info. I'm new to low pressure fat tubeless tires. All the tire pressure advice that I'm seeing here, and on Gravel Cyclist seem to suggest a pressure range for 40mm tubeless around 30-35 psi. Wouldn't an error of 5-10 psi make a big difference? Then again, probably once I ride these tires (40 mm Rambler Tubeless on HED Tomcat rims) , I'll be less concerned.
Quote 0 0
jonz
bobknh wrote:

Thanks for the additional info. I'm new to low pressure fat tubeless tires. All the tire pressure advice that I'm seeing here, and on Gravel Cyclist seem to suggest a pressure range for 40mm tubeless around 30-35 psi. Wouldn't an error of 5-10 psi make a big difference? Then again, probably once I ride these tires (40 mm Rambler Tubeless on HED Tomcat rims) , I'll be less concerned.

When you find an inflation pressure you like, it doesn't matter what that number is on a gauge as long as you repeatedly get to that pressure.  If the gauge reads 5 - 10 psi different each time you measure the same tire, that is a big deal and not acceptable.  

+whatever for the SKS gauge.
https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/airchecker/

I've had lots of gauges over time (i.e. I'm old) and this may be my favorite.

It does have the capability of measuring the pressure from both schrader and presta valves but the head has two openings, one for schrader and one for presta, not one opening that measures both.

Quote 1 0
bobknh
jonz wrote:

When you find an inflation pressure you like, it doesn't matter what that number is on a gauge as long as you repeatedly get to that pressure.  If the gauge reads 5 - 10 psi different each time you measure the same tire, that is a big deal and not acceptable.  

+whatever for the SKS gauge.
https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/airchecker/

I've had lots of gauges over time (i.e. I'm old) and this may be my favorite.

It does have the capability of measuring the pressure from both schrader and presta valves but the head has two openings, one for schrader and one for presta, not one opening that measures both.

Yup - I think you are right. 2nd day on my tubeless Maxxis Ramblers and I'm starting to dial in the ideal pressure. Big difference between the feel of the tubeless Ramblers and the stock Kenda Happy Mediums. I'm not sure if it's the lower pressure, tubeless set up, or the quality of the tire -- but the Ramblers are much smoother on bumpy roads, and seem to to roll better -- even on pavement.
Quote 0 0
jchap
Most of the time, the air you hear leaving when you detach the pump hose from a presta valve is air that is in the pressurized hose, not from the tire.
Quote 1 0
tsunayoshi
+1 for the SKS...been using it for cross tire pressures for years, where single digit accuracy counts.

It also has a button to let out small amount of air each press, so I generally pump a little higher than my target, then use the SKS to measure and bring it down to what I want.
Quote 0 0
Robi
I just ordered a SKS Airchecker...hope it's as good as you guys say [smile].
Quote 0 0