tomh
I'm thinking of converting an Ultegra R8000 crank (46 / 36) to 46 / 30 - and change the 36t inner chainring to an Absolute Black 30t (oval only). Does that make sense? Anybody using this setup?
Thanks
Tom
Quote 0 0
OltreForza
tomh wrote:
I'm thinking of converting an Ultegra R8000 crank (46 / 36) to 46 / 30 - and change the 36t inner chainring to an Absolute Black 30t (oval only). Does that make sense? Anybody using this setup?
Thanks
Tom

I have an AB 34T oval chainring on a Dura Ace 52-36 9100 crank for my road bike. Shifting up sucks ass. I'm gonna go back to the original set up or replace my mid compact with a compact.
Quote 0 0
Volsung
I'm not sure about the larger sizes but the 32 and 30 are supposed to be used in conjunction with AB rings.  It's got something to do with weird hole sizes.
Quote 0 0
tomh
Thanks for the infos. So the lowest I could officially go on the Ultegra would be 34 I think. Maybe wait for the Easton EA90 for an affordable solution...

btw: does anybody know when the alu version of the Easton cranks will be released? It was announced in April...but didn't find a release date. The EC version is just too expensive for me 🙁
Quote 0 0
tomh
Also got an answer from Absolute Black: "Hello Tom. Unfortunately that will not work, if you want to use our 30t ovals, you will need to pair it with our 46t outer oval . Due to their special construction, they only work in predetermined pairs"
Quote 0 0
clarksonxc
You could wait until the Shimano gravel grouppo comes out this fall, they have 48/31 and 46/30 options on the way
Quote 1 0
tomh
Thought about that. But: I‘d have to change the FD for the 48/31 and the 46/30 is only available in the lower specd / heavier group (over 800g...)

EDIT: I just found out that it would be cheaper ðŸ˜… to buy a GRX 48/31 crank + BB + new FD than an Easton EA90 + 46/30 Spider + BB. And a few grams lighter...
Quote 1 0
Volsung
I think there are aftermarket 33T rings that will work with asymmetric Ultegra cranks.  They're made by Miche or Stronglight or some weird euro brand, but I doubt you'll find any smaller.

There are a lot of 110 BCD 5 bolt cranks out there of various qualities or White Industries if you dont care about q factor.  With a 5 bolt size you can do whatever crazy combo you want, basically. 
Quote 0 0