Roman
Hello,

Currently, I have 650B x 1.9" Panaracer GK SK tires on my gravel bike that were chosen for the mixed terrains and increased off-road potential.

In fact, mostly use to ride on the asphalt roads and smooth terrains. 

Does it make any sense to move to the 650B x 1.5" (Continental Terra Speed to be precise)? Would it be noticeably faster and smoother. Not too cutting?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Quote 0 0
ASCII
Look into WTB Horizons or Byway if you want a little more control offroad
Quote 1 0
ljsmith
For pavement or very smooth gravel they would be fine.  Going to a smaller diameter tire you will lose rollover so they will be roughe on chunky gravel.  Also keep in mind that your bottom bracket will be lower, if your bike already has a low bottom bracket this could be a problem,
Quote 1 0
shiggy
The 650Bx38(1.5”) Gravel King slick is my main road tire and I often run them on dirt/gravel with few issues. Also use the 42/1.75 version 
Quote 0 0
Roman
shiggy wrote:
The 650Bx38(1.5”) Gravel King slick is my main road tire and I often run them on dirt/gravel with few issues. Also use the 42/1.75 version 


Doesn't it feel too cutting and unstable at the corners?
Quote 0 0
Dan Reese
I have Pari Motos in 650x38.  Not great in big chunky gravel, but they're good on hard pack and anything not too deep.  You're not going to rail corners on a tire with no side knobs (or at least I'm not able), but the trade off in straight ahead speed may be worth it.  I think it depends on the terrain you ride.  If you do indeed ride mostly pavement, I think you would see a big performance jump with the Pari Moto of GK slick while on pavement.  You'll just have to give up a little performance on gravel.  I've been thinking of getting a larger, perhaps 44mm or larger, slick to see how they perform.
Quote 1 0
shiggy

Roman wrote:


Doesn't it feel too cutting and unstable at the corners?


what is “cutting”?

A slick at the right pressure handles fine. I have been riding on gravel for 40 years. Partial traction is normal.

You asked about a tire for mostly pavement and smooth surfaces. A slick is ideal.

Quote 1 0
nublar
Why not 700x32 or 700x35? Too much bb drop going with 650x1.5
Quote 1 0
Dan Reese
nublar wrote:
Why not 700x32 or 700x35? Too much bb drop going with 650x1.5


I believe the OP was already running 650.  As for BB drop, when's the last time you had a pedal strike riding purely on gravel? 
Quote 0 0
chas
for me personally, pedal strike is a much bigger issue than a high bottom bracket.  I've been thrown off the road a couple of times when I didn't realize how low the bottom bracket was.  High bottom bracket doesn't affect my riding much (well - makes it a little easier to go over the handlebars mountain biking - but when was the last time you went over the handlebars riding purely on gravel?  ;-)

Since the OP is clearly not riding only on gravel, I'll say its a pretty relevant comment.
Quote 0 0
shiggy
chas wrote:
for me personally, pedal strike is a much bigger issue than a high bottom bracket.  I've been thrown off the road a couple of times when I didn't realize how low the bottom bracket was.  High bottom bracket doesn't affect my riding much (well - makes it a little easier to go over the handlebars mountain biking - but when was the last time you went over the handlebars riding purely on gravel?  ;-)

Since the OP is clearly not riding only on gravel, I'll say its a pretty relevant comment.

Roman wrote:

...In fact, mostly use to ride on the asphalt roads and smooth terrains...
The concern with smaller tires is a low BB.
Clearly riding even smoother terrain than gravel. Pedal strikes should only be an issue if you insist on pedaling through tight corners.
Quote 0 0
Dan Reese
chas wrote:
for me personally, pedal strike is a much bigger issue than a high bottom bracket.  I've been thrown off the road a couple of times when I didn't realize how low the bottom bracket was.  High bottom bracket doesn't affect my riding much (well - makes it a little easier to go over the handlebars mountain biking - but when was the last time you went over the handlebars riding purely on gravel?  ;-)

Since the OP is clearly not riding only on gravel, I'll say its a pretty relevant comment.


I actually have seen someone go over the bars in a gravel race.  But it wasn't because their BB was too high.  It was because they came screaming into a rutted descent with skinny little tires and cantilever brakes that didn't slow them down when they realized the error of their ways.  Undeterred, said person popped right back on the bike and promptly shot across the road and slammed into the bank, crashing again.  I wish I had had a Go Pro, it was quite the sequence.  I talked to him later, he and his bike were, unbelievably, no worse for the wear!  
Quote 1 0