paupeter
Anyone with real experience using a 700x 36-39c gravel tire and would recommend something for this Spring? I have a cx bike that will not allow 40c tires in rear.
Heavier rider (240lbs), rim brakes, tubes. CX bike - 35s seem too narrow in the loose pack, 40s too wide in chainstays.
I've been reading up on CST Pika, Teravail Cannonball, Specalized Trigger's, & Challenge Gravel Grinder. Budget conscious, not a weight weenie, want durable tire to last all season and have good grip and roll fast on hardpack - Holy Grail!?
What would you recommend? 
Quote 0 0
ljsmith
Its kind of tough to recommend tires when you have tight clearance.  The reason I say this is that tires can vary in width based on the rim width, stated tire sizes are rarely accurate and can even vary from two of the exact same tires.  I can tell you that I have used 38c Triggers on 19mm internal width rims and they measured about 39mm.  I liked the tires, but I am using Schwalbe G Ones now which feel faster.  The 38c G One measures out to 40mm on my 19mm rims.  I have heard that the 35c G Ones measure 38mm.
Quote 1 0
PoolBoyMatt
Andrea is running the Teravail Lickscillet on the older I9 alloy road wheels. It measures 37mm at 40 psi and fully "matured". The 120 TPI version has flat protection layer bead to bead. She has been impressed so far.
Quote 1 0
RoverAl
Check out the PAnaracer SK line

Quote 1 0
Barrettscv
I'm using 700x36 Clement MSO tires on a Cyclocross bike. It's a top performer on gravel and it's reasonable fast on pavement. The tire measures 36mm wide on a Velocity A23 rim. This tire can be found for about $50.

If your looking for a lower price point and your gravel roads are well maintained, consider the German made 700x37 Continental Contact II. See: http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/continental-sport-contact-2016

These can be found for about $36: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N7V8038/ref=twister_dp_update?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Quote 1 0
paupeter
Thanks everyone.
Quick update.
Rim is a Mavic Q719, 32h - measures out to 19mm rim width.
Quote 0 0
vride
+1 Panaracer Gavelking. In 35mm they will likely measure around 37mm in your rim. I use them in 40 and they are almost 43mm on a 21mm (internal) rim.
Quote 0 0
Jhenk77
Gravel King SK. The 35 sets up tubeless very well and very versatile. I run mine on pavement, limestone trails, gravel and single track. Love them and very durable. 
Quote 0 0
alembical
I am liking the GravelKing SK and also the Schwalbe G-one.  The G-one in 35 also measures out about 38 on my Hed Belgium +
Quote 0 0
bobknh
My $.02 -- 35 mm Tubeless GK. Great gravel tire. Relatively inexpensive, light weight, seats easily, rolls well on maintained gravel roads and pavement. May not be the best choice for deep stuff or mud though. BTW, be aware that while the spec. is 35 mm, depending on your rim profile, the actual tire diameter is more like 38 mm. Plenty of clearance on my Ritchie Swiss Cross Canti which has a nominal tire width max of 38 mm.
Quote 0 0
RC
WTB Riddler in a 36. Pretty true to size on a 28 external rim..
Quote 0 0
quadrathon
I used Clement MSOs at DK200 last year on Shimano CX31 wheels, a 40 on the front and a 32 on the back, it rained the night before and I would have had issues with mud clearance. They worked a treat and only 2 flats in the whole day. 

That said I am using Clement USHs sixe 33 on the same wheelset for the BWR, which has a high percentage of road and have been very impressed

I had the same issue of skinny chainstays on my Cooper CX
Quote 0 0
Dodger
@ quad: 2 flats on MSOs? Were your running tubeless or with tubes (I'm guessing with tubes because only 36s rated for tubeless)? Also, front or rear?

Quote:
I used Clement MSOs at DK200 last year on Shimano CX31 wheels, a 40 on the front and a 32 on the back, it rained the night before and I would have had issues with mud clearance. They worked a treat and only 2 flats in the whole day.

Quote 0 0
bobknh
Jhenk77 wrote:
Gravel King SK. The 35 sets up tubeless very well and very versatile. I run mine on pavement, limestone trails, gravel and single track. Love them and very durable. 

Yes - but my 35mm GK tubeless measure around 38mm inflated to 35 psi. Might be a tight fit on the posters CX bike designed o UCI 32 mm CX limit.
Quote 0 0
paupeter
I settled on the Teravail Cannonball 38c. Mainly because I found em on a great deal at a bike swap. They fit in the rear stays. Its kind of tight so if its muddy, I may need to switch to a 35.
Quote 0 0