Nubster Show full post »
Nubster
Ok...here's the update cut and pasted from another thread I started on another site:

I bought a Cannondale SuperX for gravel grinding a month ago. Great bike but I sold it today. Just wasn't sure about it. Super comfortable ride despite being a race bike. Quick. Handled great once I got used to the geometry. Looks awesome. Pretty light. Cheap. But there was just a tiny something I can't put my finger on that made me want to look at other options.

So I'm on the fence now on what to replace it with. Right now top four contenders are, in no particular order:

1. Jamis Renegade Expert. $2500 for 105 spec bike. 

2. Boone 9 Disc. $2100 and Ultegra equipped.

3. Boone 7 Disc. $1900 with SRAM Force 1...but I'd sell the 1x parts and convert to 2x.

4. Lynskey Cooper or Urbano frame and build something up. Price unknown but probably $3k - ish.

5. This is something that just popped up and probably a very long shot...but there's a very slight chance I might be able to get my hands on a Salsa Warbird. If that happens...probably game over...but there's still that cost factor that I need to consider and make sure that the Warbird is honestly that much different and $1000 better than the Jamis.

I know the Boone options aren't really that far off the SuperX. What I would gain going Boone over SuperX is 15mm thru axle on the front, a little nicer carbon though I highly doubt I'd ever tell any difference, and IsoSpeed decoupler for a plusher ride on the gravel. And slightly better spec since my SuperX was Rival and a mixed bag at that. Biggest con is lack of tire clearance. From what I'm told...35c no problem. Problem 38c. 40's would be tight and a no go if there was any chance of mud or loose dirt/gravel that could build up.

Jamis seems like the logical choice since it's more of a purpose build gravel bike. Carbon frame, thru axles front and back. 142x12 in the rear. Decent tire clearance. But not crazy about paying $2500 for 105. Con is price for spec. Maybe it's not bad but considering what I can get the Ultegra Boone for...it makes it hard to spend $400 more for less. Or $600 less for the Force equipped Boone 7.

Lynskey...I've been drooling over a Ti bike for a long time. But the cost of the build is more than I can handle right now unless I can get one of my other bikes sold. Even then...it will be hard to bite off and swallow. Cons...unsure about Ti...never ridden it but everyone that does seems to love it. Price. Slight weight penalty but I'm sure the nice ride more than makes up for it. Price.

Definitely welcome thoughts on my list or other options to look at. $3k is my absolute top end can't go a penny more max...and that's only if I can sell one of my other bikes. Maybe I should start my own thread.
Quote 0 0
dmcg29
I'm in a similar boat.  For what it be worth, I've got a local shop to go for ~$2300 ($2500 with tax) for the Jamis.  I've seen it online back East for $2200, so I think there is room to negotiate.  Will probably order tomorrow.
Quote 0 0
Nubster
Any idea where you saw it for $2200? I'd rather buy at the shop but I could maybe use that as a little bargining chip. 
Quote 0 0
Nubster
Going in today to try to see what kind of deal I can work out for the Jamis before I order the Boone. Boone is hands down the best deal but I still think that the Jamis might be an ever so slightly better bike for my purpose. I hate making these decisions. I like the ones that are pretty cut and dry.
Quote 0 0
dmcg29
Here's the $2200 link.  They won't ship, but it does prove that your local shop won't lose money at this price.
http://www.echeloncyclesnyc.com/product/jamis-renegade-expert-241364-1.htm

Quote 0 0
Ghostcode

I'm just now seeing this thread @Nubster. I think you saw in my thread, I just put a down payment on a Jamis Renegade Expert. You mentioned $2500 for 105 is bad price for the specs. (MSRP is actually $2599)

If we are talking about a gravel grinder, I think one of the most important things is tire clearance. There were only 2-3 bikes that I saw that comfortably could handle something 40-43mm. Which led me to the Jamis and Warbird. I researched every single bikes spec sheet and I would say the Jamis is one the best bang for buck spec'd out of every one of them. 

Latest 105 11 speed (If you pay for better stuff, all you're getting is a little weight reduction imo)
Full Carbon frame 
Full Carbon fork
Shimanos latest hydro disc breaks
40+mm tire clearance
All the mounts you'd want for commuting/exploring
Thru axle
Lifetime warranty on the frame

The list goes on, but hopefully you see my point. Compared to something like the warbird.. I didn't see much difference for $1000 extra (assuming you want a carbon frame) Not to mention Jamis warranty.  

Quote 0 0
Nubster
dmcg29 wrote:
Here's the $2200 link.  They won't ship, but it does prove that your local shop won't lose money at this price.
http://www.echeloncyclesnyc.com/product/jamis-renegade-expert-241364-1.htm

Yesterday I found out dealer cost on the Renegade Expert is $1679 or something like that. Less than $1700. So yeah...at full retail, there's certainly some wiggle room.
Quote 0 0
Nubster
Ghostcode wrote:

I'm just now seeing this thread @Nubster. I think you saw in my thread, I just put a down payment on a Jamis Renegade Expert. You mentioned $2500 for 105 is bad price for the specs. (MSRP is actually $2599)

If we are talking about a gravel grinder, I think one of the most important things is tire clearance. There were only 2-3 bikes that I saw that comfortably could handle something 40-43mm. Which led me to the Jamis and Warbird. I researched every single bikes spec sheet and I would say the Jamis is one the best bang for buck spec'd out of every one of them. 

Latest 105 11 speed (If you pay for better stuff, all you're getting is a little weight reduction imo)
Full Carbon frame 
Full Carbon fork
Shimanos latest hydro disc breaks
40+mm tire clearance
All the mounts you'd want for commuting/exploring
Thru axle
Lifetime warranty on the frame

The list goes on, but hopefully you see my point. Compared to something like the warbird.. I didn't see much difference for $1000 extra (assuming you want a carbon frame) Not to mention Jamis warranty.  

Pretty much same conclusion I came to. I tried ordering the Expert yesterday but out of my size. My dealer found a 2015 Elite that he's trying to get ahold of. Same as the 2016 on it has a 135 rear instead of the 142. I'd much rather have the 142 but at this point...my second choice bike also has a 135 and...there's really nothing else out there that has TA front and rear that I can get. Either out of stock or too much $$$. And I don't want to wait 3+ months for 2017 stuff to come in and miss out on a lot of riding with my friends since they are mostly riding stuff that's not particularly suitable for my road bike and I don't want to try to keep up on my mountain bike.
Quote 0 0