jmecklenborg
I unexpectedly got into the DK100.  I have a 27.5+ bike, a Salsa Timberjack, and don't want to invest in a nice gravel bike this year because I'm in the middle of buying a rental property.  

I'm confident that I can complete the 100 mile distance on a mountain bike as I've done 130 in the past on a slow bike (12-13 hour day).  

I am confused by tire descriptions and am seeking advice regarding the best plus tire for the Kansas gravel.  Obviously, avoiding a catastrophic sidewall tear is the primary goal (well ahead of speed or comfort) and plus tires have thinner walls than ordinary tires. 

Thanks.  

Quote 0 0
shiggy
You don’t HAVE TO run a plus tire. Panaracer has a 27.5x2.1 GK SK coming soon.
though IME using too wide a rim exposes the sidewalls to a greater chance of damage 
Quote 0 0
drwelby
The Schwalbe G-One Allround comes in 27.5 x 2.8.

Have you thought about borrowing some 29er wheels?
Quote 0 0
jmecklenborg

Thanks, I'll probably get a pair of those just to try them out, but they don't look like they could handle the sharp rocks out in Kansas.  I suppose that I could test them in my area by riding on the sloped slides of railroad ballast to see if I get a side puncture, but I can't imagine doing a 100-mile test! 

I am planning to drive out to Emporia on Memorial Day Weekend and do a pair of 50~ mile rides so I could definitely test them in the field and then switch them out for normal mtb tires if they don't work. 

I have thought of buying a pair of nice 29er wheels but like I said I'm expecting some big expenses this year and am trying to avoid buying another bike or any major pieces of gear. 

I should add that I like the handling of the Timberjack since it's stable and a lot of fun to ride on fire roads and other dirt roads with the suspension locked out.  But I've never ridden it with a bike computer so I have now how fast (or slow, rather) I'm going on gravel-type conditions.  I feel like I'm cruising at 12 or 13mph but it might be just 10 or 11mph.  

Quote 0 0
clarksonxc
You could use one of the 650b tires, like the WTB venture or resolute.  It'd lower your BB a fair bit, but it's not like you'll have to clear any singletrack log-overs
Quote 0 0
shiggy
clarksonxc wrote:
You could use one of the 650b tires, like the WTB venture or resolute.  It'd lower your BB a fair bit, but it's not like you'll have to clear any singletrack log-overs

the stock rims are 40mm internal. I would not use a tire narrower than ~2.5”. A narrow tire on such a wide rim has very vertical—even less than vertical—sidewalls. Easy to slash sidewalls, more rigid, less cush, easier to pinch flat.
Quote 0 0
chas
I love the G-one, but it doesn't seem to have the toughest sidewalls if that is your priority.  One magazine had both testers flat the G-one and dinged it for that.  Europeans love that tire, but they don't have the chunky stuff the US has.  

I will admit, I have a G-one with a sidewall tear that I got from just mounting the tires.  They were a PITA to get on, but I never expected to get a sidewall tear from just putting the tire on the rim.  Strange...
Quote 0 0