TimmyR
Good day all..I commented on the 2018 Diverge thread, but since that was a little old and the bike may have changed a litle in 2019, I figured I'd start a new one.

I recently found frame damage on my Spec Crux ('14 Evo Elite Rival size 56) and Specialized has worked with my LBS to give me credit towards a new complete bike.  I have settled on the Diverge Comp size 58 (I went up a size in frame to take advantage of the increased headtube length and stack height since I was running a 35 degree riser stem on my Crux).  

Since I have not seen a lot of discussion on this year's models I figured I'd start a thread and see if anyone is riding the Diverge and how they like the Future Shock.
Tim

------------------
Ride on! [cool]
Quote 0 0
SWGraveler
Hello,

I have recently been considering a Diverge; what changed on them for '19?  I am looking at a Pro as I really want Di2 but also may go the upgrade route to a different model depending upon what I can find..

Thanks,
Scott
Quote 0 0
TimmyR
SWGraveler wrote:
Hello,

I have recently been considering a Diverge; what changed on them for '19?  I am looking at a Pro as I really want Di2 but also may go the upgrade route to a different model depending upon what I can find..

Thanks,
Scott

I may have overstepped my knowledge. I THINK the geometry, and the varying model levels all changed slightly this year.  I also thought the Future Shock had been slightly modified. With that said, I may be way off there. I was going to purchase the Sport, but went with the Comp.
Tim

------------------
Ride on! [cool]
Quote 0 0
SWGraveler
Thanks; what were you riding previously and how do you like the Diverge so far?
Quote 0 0
TimmyR
So, I was riding a 14' Crux EVO Elite Rival until I found some damage to the frame. I have not ridden the Diverge except around the parking lot at my LBS.  I am hoping to ride it this week it is ready. I also ride a Salsa Vaya (last year model) and a Surly Wednesday for whatever that's worth.
Tim

------------------
Ride on! [cool]
Quote 0 0
JohnnyV
Geometry is the same as 2018, but they've restructured the component levels. Comp, for example, was $3k last year and came with a 105 group and Axis wheelset.  This year it gets the new Ultegra, lighter cranks, and DT R470 rims.  Oh, and it costs $750 more.  The Sport last year was somewhere between $2100 and $2500 (I don't recall) and came with Tiagra.  Now it's $3k and gets the new 105 and DT rims.  So this years Sport is more or less last years Comp minus the S-Works seatpost.  And there's another carbon level below that at $2500 that gets the Tiagra group.  Expert gets carbon rims and a $1k bump to price.  I think the Pro is new, but really not sure.  Looks like everything now gets Sawtooth tires, which are better on gravel and dirt than you'd expect but definitely biased towards tarmac.

I almost bought a Comp last year, but I'm shallow and couldn't get past the funky looking 105 hydraulic hoods.  The new ones look and feel much better.  I bought a satin brown Comp this year and am really happy with it.  It's fast and super-comfy on gravel/dirt and handles moderate singletrack well enough (with the caveat that the BB drop is greater than I'd like it to be).  It's also not nearly as sluggish on the road as I thought it might be, so it's made a great daily driver this time of year. 

As to criticisms, I'm not sure how well it'll handle 650b wheels given the 85mm drop.  The bike is pretty low already.  Probably only matters on singletrack or if you're too aggressive pedaling out of corners, but I'd rather it just not be a thing I have to worry about.  I've also heard some concerns about tire clearance with 700*42 tires.  I'm running Pathfinders that measure true and everything looks to have plenty of room.  It's a shame the AL bikes have so much less clearance.  They're otherwise a good value, but apparently even 700*38 is a tight squeeze.
Quote 1 0
TimmyR
Thanks Johnny, you’re riding exactly what I ordered except I’ll have my own short (155mm) cranks on it. I’m excited to give it a shot since it’s such a jump from my Crux
Tim

------------------
Ride on! [cool]
Quote 0 0
motorrad
I put a season on an 18 Diverge, but frankly really couldn't stand the Future Shock. just got an excellent deal a couple of months ago on a four-star Niner rlt RDO. just put a redshift shockstop stem on it and have been blissfully happy since. the only thing I'm keeping from the Diverge is that awesome seatpost.
Quote 0 0
luisito
motorrad wrote:
I put a season on an 18 Diverge, but frankly really couldn't stand the Future Shock. just got an excellent deal a couple of months ago on a four-star Niner rlt RDO. just put a redshift shockstop stem on it and have been blissfully happy since. the only thing I'm keeping from the Diverge is that awesome seatpost.

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a Diverge Comp '19 (or a Revolt Advanced) but the Future Shock holds me back. Has anyone swapped the unit for a fixed-length tube?
Quote 0 0
Tallboy1959
A vote for the Revolt here.
Escape Mediocrity
Quote 1 0
motorrad
Get on that Revolt.
Quote 1 0
luisito
Thanks for your opinion.

Quote 0 0
Navegador
Well, I tried the base E5 model at my LBS and loved the geometry. Very comfortable. If they sold just the E5 frame I'd be busy getting components for my new bike right now. Alas, they don't.

I didn't try the ones with Future Shock but the salesperson claimed it can't be replaced with a conventional assembly. I'm not so sure but there it is.
Quote 0 0
meenanm
As others said, I believe it is a component realignment and color changes.

I have the S-Works Diverge ('18).  I like it and have raced it a few times in '18
DK 200
Barry Roubaix
Other local events/races

The 1x works well for me. I put a 38t on the front to get me . a little below the 1:1 for some of the steep climbs.  takes a little from the top end, but I find it is better for my riding style. The future shock works for me. that said, I do wish there was a lock-out option.  For long sustained climbs, it would be nice to lock it.  I believe it's a personal preference issue, I do not believe it affects pedaling/watts negatively.

Tire clearance is great!  Easily run 40's on wide rims with room to spare.  On same wide rims (700c) WTB 42's are a bit tight.

The previous year I did the DK 200 on a Ridley X-Trail and Clement 36mm tires (Max it would fit).  The ride was much better on the Diverge.  Future Shock and higher volume tires made a difference.  Cannot compare times as the weather was drastically different.

Quote 0 0
JohnnyV
The Revolts do look pretty decent.  Giant seems not to have hired the color blind Hot Wheels artist they use for most of their line up.  Pricing is also pretty nice on the 105 bike; less so on the Ultegra.  Carbon wheels on it, I guess, but carbon that weighs like aluminum, and I'm not sure stiffer is really an advantage here.  I'd give them a look if I didn't get on with the Future Shock.  Personally, I think it's pretty great with the medium or firm booster spring installed (depending on terrain), and I'm quite pleased with the rear end compliance, too.
Quote 0 0
TimmyR
2019 Diverge Comp is in my garage. I've given it a short ride but weather is uncooperative at this point in New England. Hoping to see a little time on it tomorrow. From my short ride, I really liked it (no surprise). The satin brown/black/copper scheme looks great.  More to follow.
eq5LeCfYSqqXFnSixFjGHw.jpg  00EcXDh3RJmvHMylitB%xQ.jpg 
Tim

------------------
Ride on! [cool]
Quote 0 0
Involuntarysoul
the only thing keeping be from diverge is the future shock, it is so proprietary, let's say 5 years down the road and they are in futureshock 3.0, it would be so hard to replacement for older parts. I have a Roubaix SL3 and the lower headset bearing is proprietary 1 3/8'' yeah good luck finding replacement bearings
Quote 0 0
TimmyR
I have that concern as well.  I had a similar issue on my Crux when I needed a new SRAM 10-speed shifter/brake lever and they had already discontinued the line, so my only option was a total remove and replace vs. being able to purchase replacement parts and rebuild (per my local bike shop at the time.)

I was not looking at a Diverge as a new bike until my Crux came up damaged and I was able to negotiate crash replacement pricing in lieu of a new Crux frame.  So far I love the bike outside.  The reach feels a touch long on the trainer.  Still getting used to the bike.
Tim

------------------
Ride on! [cool]
Quote 0 0
TimmyR
Any Diverge owners or owners of Future Shock bikes have any tips on new stems and headset caps?
Tim

------------------
Ride on! [cool]
Quote 0 0