scottNU Show full post »
Mark_Landsaat
Well, I have experience with both 1x and 2x on a gravel bike. My current bike is a 1x and I have to say that I don't have any desire to go back to a 2x. I do at times miss some of the smaller sprocket steps from the 2x, but not enough to outweigh the benefits.

-1:1 gearing with a 10-42 and 42tooth chain ring. Love that. And if the course requires it I can mount a 40 or a 38, but haven't had to so far. My 2x is a 50x34 with an 11-28 and I love the lighter 1:1 gearing on the 1x

-The 1x is more quiet
-The 1x is way easier to setup (no FD duh)
-No more dropped chains. This wasn't a big issue on my 2x but it did happen
-Easier to keep the bike and drive train clean
-Easier to shift, only one lever to worry about
-No more front derailleur cage rub

Honestly I can see a use for both and it mainly comes down to personal preference, but I have to say that I like my 1x more and more every ride

Guy that does a little of everything at Noble Bikes

https://www.noble-bikes.com/

Quote 1 0
simplemind
Mark, good comments.  I would add that so much depends on terrain.  Sure there are those single speeders that can run circles around us, but having a 2X setup in the mountains is almost a requirement for us average folks.  I am curious why you're running a smaller cassette on your 2X setup.  I'm on a 11x36 and it handles most everything but the 15% + grades.
Quote 0 0
Mark_Landsaat
My 2x bike is basically mostly used on the road and as such I appreciate the smaller steps between the sprockets. I did go opposite of you though. I use the 1x setup for off-road and climbing. My bike currently has a 42x42 1:1 gear ratio as mentioned above and that works out fine when climbing. At least for where I ride.

Also while on the road I miss the smaller steps between sprockets, when I ride on the dirt it's not an issue for me. If I need a lighter gear in the dirt. I need a lighter gear. So a larger jump is not a disadvantage, but actually would be two jumps on a 2x with a smaller cassette.

What I'm really waiting for is a SRAM Eagle groupset 12 speed with a 10-42 cassette. This would reduce the jumps between the sprockets and probably perfect for me. I can't imagine this being too far out with SRAM Eagle MTB having been around for a while now.

Guy that does a little of everything at Noble Bikes

https://www.noble-bikes.com/

Quote 0 0
drwelby
If you look at a 34-50 x 11-28 the crossover gear is 34/12 or 50/17. At 90 rpm and 700x40 tires that's about 22mph. So if you're riding at a more usual 15-20mph you're always working opposite sides of the rings and cassettes. When I had almost the same gearing it drove me crazy too.

If you went with an 28-42 x 11-28 you'd get a straight block 11-15 with tighter jumps over 22 mph and still have that 1:1 low gear. In your cruising gears you have slightly bigger jumps which work better in slower rollers. 

I should clarify that I'm not trying to say 2x is better than 1x - if you're good with the 1x setup it certainly is nice to only deal with one shifter and no front derailleur to mess with. I'm just thinking out loud that there might be a way to make the 2x work better.

I'm a broken record about this, but the bike industry hasn't figured out that their bikes are overgeared for most riders.
Quote 1 0
OffB10Path
drwelby wrote:

I'm a broken record about this, but the bike industry hasn't figured out that their bikes are overgeared for most riders.

Truth!
Quote 0 0
HollyBoni
I think the MTB world is in a pretty good place right now in that regard. Nowadays a 50T cassette and a 30-32T chainring is kind of standard. 
I remember when Eagle first came out everyone was like "OMG why would you need a 50T cassette, are you planning to climb a wall or something?" and now when a bike comes with a 42T or something people b*tch that it's not low enough... 😃
Quote 0 0