smoothmoose
I've been googling and digging through SRAM's website.  But are there any 11sp XD/XDR cassettes out there that's not 10-42??  SRAM or other aftermarket brands?

I see a 12sp 10-33 and of course we got our 12sp MTB Eagles.  But I'm looking for something like a 11sp 10-33 or 10-34 to replace the PG-1130 11-36.  I like the tight spacing on the high gears on that cassette.
Quote 0 0
bluesky6
I've been using e*thirteen XCX cassettes. I've all 3 (9-34, 9-39 and 9-42). I currently have the 9-34 on my Stigmata with a 34 chainring. This gives me enough range for flats and climbs and the whole setup is light. The 9/34 combo works for me because I don't usually use the small cogs on a 11-XX cassette with a compact chainset.
Quote 0 0
HollyBoni

9-32?

https://r2-bike.com/Roadbike-Cassettes__11-speed__SRAM-XD_1__SRAM-XDR_1

Quote 0 0
smoothmoose
Thanks for options!  What's the deal with the 9 tooth?  Why not go with 10 per the XD/XDR spec?  I've heard mixed review on the 9 tooth for e13 MTB cassette.
Quote 0 0
bluesky6
9T allows you to use a smaller chainring for a given speed. This means that you have better climbing gears with the large cogs.
Quote 0 0
HollyBoni

smoothmoose wrote:
Thanks for options!  What's the deal with the 9 tooth?  Why not go with 10 per the XD/XDR spec?  I've heard mixed review on the 9 tooth for e13 MTB cassette.

Same idea as the 10 vs 11T, a higher gear ratio (and possibly more range).

However, it's worth mentioning that while you might get the same high gear with a smaller chainring and smaller cog combo, going smaller with the chainring can also change what part of the cassette you use. 

Just an example. 38-10 gives you the same high gear as 42-11. When I have a 42T chainring on, I use the center of the cassette a lot on paved sections. However, when I have the 38T on, I notice that I use the bottom of the cassette a lot on pavement, which might not be ideal long term. I haven't tried a 9T cassette yet but I imagine if I went with a 9T and a smaller chainring, i'd use the smallest cogs even more. 

Quote 0 0
smoothmoose
HollyBoni wrote:

Same idea as the 10 vs 11T, a higher gear ratio (and possibly more range).

However, it's worth mentioning that while you might get the same high gear with a smaller chainring and smaller cog combo, going smaller with the chainring can also change what part of the cassette you use. 

Just an example. 38-10 gives you the same high gear as 42-11. When I have a 42T chainring on, I use the center of the cassette a lot on paved sections. However, when I have the 38T on, I notice that I use the bottom of the cassette a lot on pavement, which might not be ideal long term. I haven't tried a 9T cassette yet but I imagine if I went with a 9T and a smaller chainring, i'd use the smallest cogs even more. 

Yeah - I think that has to do with the gear spacing and jumps.

If the 9-11-13-15 vs.
11-12-13-15 - that would force you to use the 9+11 a lot more.

The main issue I heard on the MTB chatter is the 9 tooth is not as smooth and the chain wraps around very tight which causes premature wear on the chain and/or cog.
Quote 1 0
smoothmoose
BTW - I ended up sticking with the Shimano HG driver for my new wheels and will move over my 11-36 cassette.

The only good option was 9-32 3T bailout cassette - but it's heck expensive.  All others have 9-11-13 jump, and I was looking for 9-10-11 or 10-11-12.  I would like a faster gear, but not with be big 20-22% jump.  I can always up my chainring and go with 11-46 or 11-50 cassette on other 650b wheels instead.  Which would still be cheaper option.

I guess I wait to see how XD vs. Microspline plays out and will upgrade to 12-sp when cable (not-wireless) options become available.  I haven't been super happy with the SRAM Apex1 HRD brakes either.  So may switch to Shimano in the future if/when they figure out their 12speed solution.
Quote 0 0